Germans will be back for Beasley

The only reason behind me wanting Beasley to get an extended run in his favoured position is that he is the only natural left-winger we own. Call me old fashioned, but I like players playing in their natural positions, not a team thrown together just to justify the signing or selection of certain players.

Walter Smith said a fortnight before Fleck's debut that there were no young players capable of breaking into the first team. After the furore of the potential sale of Boyd and the backlash that created, Fleck (and Aaron to a lesser extent) was thrown into the spotlight. We all knew that he wouldn't get a game in his favoured position and I think we all knew that he get thrown into the left wing position.

This is unfair on the player and is depremental to the overall team performance and overall team ability. As is playing 4 centre-halves across the back four (why did WS waste money on the likes of Webster, Lafferty, Velicka et al instead of signing much needed full backs?) and playing Steve Davis at right-wing.

Cammy F

To be honest in Webster's case we did need a CH and Webster was a reasonably good one at one point. I think he gambled we were getting a million pound player on the cheap. If it had worked out Smith or Bain would have got compliments for shrewd business, unfortunately it didn't work out but on Webster's case i feel it was more unlucky other than bad judgement.

To be honest in Webster's case we did need a CH and Webster was a reasonably good one at one point. I think he gambled we were getting a million pound player on the cheap. If it had worked out Smith or Bain would have got compliments for shrewd business, unfortunately it didn't work out but on Webster's case i feel it was more unlucky other than bad judgement.

But we already had / have 5 centre-halves - Weir, Carlos (now Boogie), Papac, Broadfoot and Daily (Hendami can also play sweeper, so there was another option). There was no reason to take Webster.

Cammy F

But we already had / have 5 centre-halves - Weir, Carlos (now Boogie), Papac, Broadfoot and Daily (Hendami can also play sweeper, so there was another option). There was no reason to take Webster.

Cammy F

Cammy i don't know what you thought at the time but i remember the general

concencis on here was that we needed a CH. The names you mentioned above are all too weak in the air to do the job.

Cammy F

I think that they felt obliged to take him (gentleman's agreement?)

What, worse than Boyd's in the opening game of the season at Falkirk where he spent the entire game on his arse moping about like a spoilt brat? Worst display I've witnessed by a Rangers player in a long, long time, and the worst attitude I've seen displayed by a Rangers player in a long, long time.

Cammy F

I didn't see the full Falkirk game, so can't comment. :)

Cammy i don't know what you thought at the time but i remember the general

concencis on here was that we needed a CH. The names you mentioned above are all too weak in the air to do the job.

I thought at the time, the same as I think now - we would have been better served signing a couple of full-backs :)

We've been screaming out for fullbacks since before Hutton was injured (then sold). No cover at rightback then and no first choice left back, never mind cover. Now we don't have any fullbacks at all.

I didn't see the full Falkirk game, so can't comment.

A terrible performance all round that day, topped with Boyd slipping on his arse more than he was on his feet. And as said in the original post, an attitude that would have saw him hooked and fined under several past Rangers managers...!

Cammy F

If he is so negative and so far behind those you mention, how come he has scored more goals from that position than any other player you've mentioned?

Beasley was settling into that position last season and was looking a decent player. He was outstanding (as were the rest of the team) in the 3-0 destruction of Lyon where he capped a fine performance with a great goal. He was also the highlight of last season scottish cup final, scoring and setting up a goal.

Papac and Broadfoot have done well in their adopted positions, but playing 4 centre-halves across the backline has hindered Rangers' attacking ability this season. Both fullbacks have also been caught out and we've conceeded goals due to their lack of positioning.

We can't, no matter how much we want to, say that Fleck and Aaron are going to be superstars for Rangers. We can't even say they are going to be first team regulars. Both have done well in their brief appearences, but I'll say something that may sound controversial, but IMO is just the plain and simple truth.

I'd say that Burke, Adam and to a lesser extent MCormack looked more promising in their fledgling Rangers careers than both Fleck and Aaron have done to this point.

Cammy F

Its back to the suggestion that our players are suffering under Smiths negative tactics. Theres too many off form for it to be a coincidence.