SFA chief wants winter shutdown

Guest Jum Spence

Just read it and think a 2 month shutdown would be brilliant for the game. I think most people would prefer to watch a game on a sunny day in June on a decent pitch instead of freezing on a sleeting January afternoon when it gets dark at 3:30 and on a ploughed field.

I'm sure it would help attendances as well as being more attractive to foreign players and preventing many injuries. The football should be better too.

The clubs would also save on pitch maintenance as well as not having to switch on expensive undersoil heating as often. With two months rest I'm sure the pitches would be great by march.

I've no problem with a winter break but surely two months is a bit excessive? Smith says he wants the season to run until June - quite simply, he won't be able to do that every second season due to international tournaments so I'm not sure what that one's all about.

I've also read Smith making noises about a summer season. I'd hate that, firstly for purely sentimental reasons, secondly because the SFA can barely be trusted to do anything competently let alone the complete restructuring of the league season. Surely "SFA think-tank" is an oxymoron?