Rangers defender Andy Webster is hoping to put an end to his injury nightmare by breaking into the first team.

The former Scottish international has endured a torrid spell on the sidelines since his move to Ibrox from Wigan in 2007.

The central defender has only managed one appearance for the Gers and that was when he scored in the 4-0 win over Gretna.

After spending two injury-stricken years with the Old Firm giants, Webster realises his chances of moving to another club are limited as he is somewhat of gamble.

"I think if I was fit and playing every week there would be more interest shown than now, as people have different opinions on a player when they are sidelined with injury," Webster told skysports.com.

Forgotten

"If a player isn't playing regularly they can often fall off the radar and slip out of fellow clubs' minds and become forgotten in a way."

Webster did find a club willing to take a plunge, when Championship side Bristol City loaned the centre-back for the first half of the season.

But yet again injuries hampered his progress at Ashton Gate and he could only manage five appearances during his five-month stint with the Robins.

Since returning north of the border Webster has been unable to break into the first team but he understands that the defenders ahead of him deserve their place.

"The team has been doing well and not conceding many goals, so it is different as we have such a big squad here and there are a lot of boys here that are like me in that they are not getting regular football."

Seems he's not injured again but is unable to get into the team. Anyone know if he is featuring for the reserves or doing well?

Not for me. Some will say he could have coaching role but I believe he wants to play for another two seasons at least. Either play him or replace him. Davie Weir won't relish sitting in the wings and I don't blame him. Better for him he finds another club who will give him a game every week. Go with our thanks Davie Weir.:rfc:

Spot on.

He's been awesome but we should be looking at a younger, fitter player.

Spot on.

He's been awesome but we should be looking at a younger, fitter player.

I think that's the way it should be, Gazza. But everyone needs to put there hands together in a big way for Davie Weir whenever he does go. If only he had arrived sooner. I've so much admiration for him as a pro and as a committed Rangers man.

(See, it's not all criticism)

I think that's the way it should be, Gazza. But everyone needs to put there hands together in a big way for Davie Weir whenever he does go. If only he had arrived sooner. I've so much admiration for him as a pro and as a committed Rangers man.

WOW it's a miracle ;)

Kidding, agree about wishing we had him sooner and has been a geat pro throughout his career.....

Yep, he would make a great role model for the younger players on how to have a long and fruitful professional career.

Consummate pro and one who certainly deserved to wear the Gers top and seems like a classy guy.

As was said, just a shame we didnt sign him earlier.

Yep, he would make a great role model for the younger players on how to have a long and fruitful professional career.

Consummate pro and one who certainly deserved to wear the Gers top and seems like a classy guy.

As was said, just a shame we didnt sign him earlier.

I seem to rememebr years ago we made a decision to sign someone instead of Davie Weir - Konterman? or Vidmar? Either way we made a hell of a mistake.

I seem to rememebr years ago we made a decision to sign someone instead of Davie Weir - Konterman? or Vidmar? Either way we made a hell of a mistake.

Was that when he was leaving the Jambos ?

Vidmar and Konterman did a job but I dont think there is any doubt that Davie Weir would have been a far better acquisition than either of them.

Seemed to get better with age - he STILL has the quality, it is just that father time is rapidly catching up with him.

Would be fitting if he retired (I know he doesnt want to) with us with a domestic clean sweep !!

Hear hear MF. Someone who really deserves a league winner's medal.

Did you know he has now played more games for Rangers than he did for Hearts?