I'm sure most don't fancy him for next season.

Was reading a debate where most where almsot suicidal at the prospect of him starting next year. This was stimulated from a quote from Weir saying his isn't retiring.

My own view is I would keep him as third choice behind Bougherra and a new signing. Experience could be vital in the team and even in the squad when not playing and he might also prove an excellent coach to Wilson and any new signings as he did to Boogie/Cuellar.

I don't expect any to meet with approval the thought of him being first choice next year. But does anyone else see room for him in the squad?

Rangers defender David Weir says he has no thoughts of retirement and intends to play on for at least one more season.

Weir will turn 39 in May and many reporters and pundits have suggested he should be considering hanging up his boots and calling it a day at the end of the campaign.

However, Weir has no such thoughts and is aiming to play on.

"I have heard people saying for five years that I should have called it a day, but I just get on with it," Weir said. "I just try to prepare for the next game and focus on the next game.

"People can write and say what they want about when I'll retire. There will come a time when I can't play. But I hope that is a long time away."

Read this earlier and agree he should be used as back up and his experience could prove vital and also a help to some of the younger players. Ceullar and Bougherra have both praised him for his help.

When he does retire I wonder if we will try and keep him in some capacity?

I'm sure most don't fancy him for next season.

Was reading a debate where most where almsot suicidal at the prospect of him starting next year. This was stimulated from a quote from Weir saying his isn't retiring.

My own view is I would keep him as third choice behind Bougherra and a new signing. Experience could be vital in the team and even in the squad when not playing and he might also prove an excellent coach to Wilson and any new signings as he did to Boogie/Cuellar.

I don't expect any to meet with approval the thought of him being first choice next year. But does anyone else see room for him in the squad?

Not for me. Some will say he could have coaching role but I believe he wants to play for another two seasons at least. Either play him or replace him. Davie Weir won't relish sitting in the wings and I don't blame him. Better for him he finds another club who will give him a game every week. Go with our thanks Davie Weir.:rfc:

Not for me. Some will say he could have coaching role but I believe he wants to play for another two seasons at least. Either play him or replace him. Davie Weir won't relish sitting in the wings and I don't blame him. Better for him he finds another club who will give him a game every week. Go with our thanks Davie Weir.:rfc:

Didn't really consider Weir's views right enough. At his age it's about getting games while he still can so I agree he will unlikely be hapy to be used in a back up role.

Though he is a self-confessed fan and may stay just to get another 10-15 games for the Gers and a final shot at silverware.

I would like him to stay as a squad player but would that be justifiable given I suspect he is on a decent wage with us.

Would it be worth his wages if he only played 10 games ? Or should we simply try to get a replacement and then utilise the younger players ?

Don't forget that we do also have Broadfoot and Papac who are genuine CB's. Now, not for a minute am I suggesting we would want either to play there but we do have "cover".

I would like him to stay as a squad player but would that be justifiable given I suspect he is on a decent wage with us.

Would it be worth his wages if he only played 10 games ? Or should we simply try to get a replacement and then utilise the younger players ?

Don't forget that we do also have Broadfoot and Papac who are genuine CB's. Now, not for a minute am I suggesting we would want either to play there but we do have "cover".

Pay as you play deal maybe? Again though Weir might wish more financial security.

If you consider a squad to have 2 players for every position (approximately), four CB's of:

First choice:

Bougherra

New Signing

Back ups:

Wilson (if good enough?)

Weir

Looks good to me.

Papac is never a CB for the SPL imo, but has been transformed into a decent LB and is the position I consider him to play.

Broadfoot is similar, though may yet still develop into a reasonable CB.

Pay as you play deal maybe? Again though Weir might wish more financial security.

If you consider a squad to have 2 players for every position (approximately), four CB's of:

First choice:

Bougherra

New Signing

Back ups:

Wilson (if good enough?)

Weir

Looks good to me.

Papac is never a CB for the SPL imo, but has been transformed into a decent LB and is the position I consider him to play.

Broadfoot is similar, though may yet still develop into a reasonable CB.

I dont think Weir will be worrying about financial security. But a pay as you play deal would only really suit the club. Weir will want games and on a pay as you play deal he isnt guaranteed those starts.

I agree Re Papac, I wouldn't even consider him a CB anymore and would be quite worried if we had to play him there.

Same Re Broadfoot, actually did OK at CB when Bougherra was out (Ibrox OF aside and even then he had a solid game but for one lapse).

My point really there was that we do have cover so we "shouldnt" need Davie Weir to act as cover, especially if he isnt playing but is picking up even 10k a week in wages.

If Webster could get fit then I see no reason why he couldnt be either the "new signing" or one of the cover positions instead of Davie Weir.

That way we would lose Weir's wage but not lose a player in said position (seeing as Webster isnt really in the squad right now so he would be like a new signing anyway).

Agree about Webster Craig, IF he can find form he could possibly even be Bougherra's partner.

If I was Weir then I'd play for �£2k a week. My career's all but done but there's still a chance to play and wion silverware with my boyhood heroes. The reality of living the life of a professional footballer, though, is no doubt far different from what fans expect and hence his outlook may be different.

I still think he has something to offer, but fully understand the view point ofthose who want to say thanks for a job well done.

Would be very worthwhile having Davie Weir at the club next year, but not as a first-team regular. Sort of a Steven Pressley role, coaching the defenders and youngsters while stepping in to the team when required. Would be a shame not to make use of someone with Weir's experience and knowledge of the game - and a Bluenose at that.