Midweek Premier league

Watching Everton v Arsenal and bits of Wigan v Liverpool. but the highlight of these games so far was the Mcdonald delivery guy knocking on my door with breakfast!

Poor games.

Arsenal have to win. But I cant understand why Wenger refuses to sign. He has Walcott Rosicky Eduardo and Fabregas out so needs a big name in there or they wont have a chance of the title. Arshavin and Micah Richards are rumoured and would be 2 good signings.

Do Arsenal have the money Gribz with 200m of debts ? Is it Wenger being cautious or is it his board not releasing the funds.

Real Madrid would take Wenger in a second.

Arsenal's financial plans will be up in smoke if they fail to finish in the Top 4 this season which is now looking possible with Villa now in the mix.

Im really not sure about Arsenals finances but you would have to think they have SOME money to spend. If Hull can sign Bullard for 5 million then Arsenal surely can spend 10 million on the odd player. It just seems Wenger is reluctant to buy anyone older than 25.

He has spend big on Walcott and Ramsay who are talents only.

They get 60,000 every week so the mortgage on the Emirates surely has to be covered and they are regularly in the CL until the later stages.

Im really not sure about Arsenals finances but you would have to think they have SOME money to spend. If Hull can sign Bullard for 5 million then Arsenal surely can spend 10 million on the odd player. It just seems Wenger is reluctant to buy anyone older than 25.

He has spend big on Walcott and Ramsay who are talents only.

They get 60,000 every week so the mortgage on the Emirates surely has to be covered and they are regularly in the CL until the later stages.

From reading about their finances a lot is dependant on the CL funds which are huge for the EPL clubs....if Arsenal miss that this year it will spell problems for them moving forward.

The problem is they are still trying to sell the flats from the old Highbury to cancel out some of the debts....they decided to build and sell themselves but with the old credit crunch biting not a lot of folks have 1.25m for some of the luxury apartments. They could have took a lump sum from developers but they decided to do it all and make more from the deal but its not worked as yet for them.

A few years down the line they will be very cash rich once the stadium is paid....but the extra seats at the moment are really just paying towards the ground. I just wonder if someone like Man City offered 50m for Fabregas if they would be tempted ?

Arsenal are slowly going backwards. Wenger arrogance not to sign any big name players when it's desperately needed is crazy. There's no imagination in midfield right now and after watching the extended highlights on Football First last night, they struggled to make any clear cut chances. A few years ago Arsenal would've gone to Goodison and turned Everton over. These days, I'm never confident of Arsenal getting a win, home or away.

Wenger needs to change his way of thinking, fast!

Agreed Gav, Wenger said he has more hopes for this team than any other but i was thinking last night that the team of 2004 would destroy the team right now. They 2004 team would also stroll the league again.

Selling Gilberto was an error. Hleb was replaced by Nasri fair enough. Flamini wanted to go so let him, but he could have been done with Gilberto this season.

There first choice XI is awesome but with Fabregas, Walcott and Rosicky all injured the replacement players like Eboue Denilson Diaby and Song arent near good enough for long term.

He needs Steel in that team. A Rino Gattuso type player would transform them

Diaby and Song are nowhere near Arsenal class. Denilson hasn't done anything to make me think he's anything special either. You're spot on about needing a Gattuso type player. There doesn't seem to be any bite in the midfield and they're struggling to score goals too right now. A proven goalscorer is needed ie Villa from Valencia but I doubt whether they can afford Arshavin and Villa. I'd also punt Gallas too, he's a liability!

From reading about their finances a lot is dependant on the CL funds which are huge for the EPL clubs....if Arsenal miss that this year it will spell problems for them moving forward.

I would agree with that but... some clubs, like Arsenal, do a very good job of finding raw talent and getting them for a reasonable fee which, for the most part, means that if they hit financial trouble they can sell a player or two and still not overly disrupt the harmony of the club.

The problem is they are still trying to sell the flats from the old Highbury to cancel out some of the debts....they decided to build and sell themselves but with the old credit crunch biting not a lot of folks have 1.25m for some of the luxury apartments. They could have took a lump sum from developers but they decided to do it all and make more from the deal but its not worked as yet for them.

Not sure where you got that info from but I just went onto the Highbury Square development site ( http://www.arsenal.com/news/emirates-stadium-news/highbury-square-development-latest-news ) and it states "There are a total of 680 apartments in the development of which 655 apartments have been marketed so far. Of these, 598 have already been presold, which represents over 90 per cent of the development, a figure that we are obviously extremely pleased with. As mentioned, over 90 purchasers have completed so far, generating some �£39 million of sales income"

Personally I think that selling over 90 % of the units sold is good business. Obviously with 90 completed they still run the risk of some pulling out but further down the interview Ken Friar also states that they have only had 2 people pull out and they were a while ago and also that the units were worth more than contracted for.

I don't think that Highbury Square is impacting them much at all and, even if it were, apparently (according to the same interview) the finances of Highbury Square is ring-fenced such that any profit is purely a BONUS. They havent budgeted for it at all at the football club level. I would expect they would use much of the profit would be used to pay down the stadium debt.

A few years down the line they will be very cash rich once the stadium is paid....but the extra seats at the moment are really just paying towards the ground. I just wonder if someone like Man City offered 50m for Fabregas if they would be tempted ?

Arsenal seem to be a well run club and reasonably well financially managed. They have a strong squad (not strong enough to win the league - but I think this is as much to do with Wenger's stubbornness than it is with lack of money) and I think that in a few year's time they will be very strong financially if run the same way. They haven't spent as much as other clubs and they have a strict wage structure in place (although their wages are still pretty high).

Having been to Emirates it is a fantastic stadium. Have the chance to go see them play Blackburn in March - swithering whether I will go or not......