Press Release re. Strathclyde Police

I agree with what VB are saying except for one thing.

There is NOT ONE line in "Flower of Scotland" that is anti-English. NOT ONE. And any intelligent Scot with a command of the English language should know that.

If the song is anti-anything (and it patently isn't), it would be anti-invading kings from neighbouring countries. Which I would say is fair enough.

It is no-more anti-English than the chorus of No Surrender is anti-Catholic.

I agree with what VB are saying except for one thing.

There is NOT ONE line in "Flower of Scotland" that is anti-English. NOT ONE. And any intelligent Scot with a command of the English language should know that.

If the song is anti-anything (and it patently isn't), it would be anti-invading kings from neighbouring countries. Which I would say is fair enough.

It is no-more anti-English than the chorus of No Surrender is anti-Catholic.

It's a line pulled out when other people complain about the now defunct anti-Scottish verse of GSTQ. Though the exact meaning of that verse is up for debate too.

That rebellious Scots verse has never been official and god knows the last time it was sung.

And I also doubt you could complain that the Star Spangled Banner is anti-British etc, etc.

I sing it all the time. Just a shame we can't to it to rebellious Scots nowadays. Celebrity Big Brother would certainly be looking for a few new contestants. innocent.gif

That rebellious Scots verse has never been official and god knows the last time it was sung.

And I also doubt you could complain that the Star Spangled Banner is anti-British etc, etc.

It's just that the two songs and their "offending" lyrics are only ever mentioned together, at least in my experience.

I noticed this statement on another website Rangers Media or Follow Follow.

It's fantastic. We've been waiting a long time for something like this.

Well done to the guys that instigated it.

I noticed this statement on another website Rangers Media or Follow Follow.

It's fantastic. We've been waiting a long time for something like this.

Well done to the guys that instigated it.

I noticed that FF were the only site to remove any reference to VB. What is the problem there?

There isn't one intelligent Scot with a command of the English language that could read something racist into the famine song, which is sort of the point I think.

eta: i have, and will continue to have, my reservations about vb, but i 100% appluad this. well done indeed.

Edited by bmck