Are Glasgow Rangers in big financial trouble?

Well, we're having to pay �£23+ for netx month's friendly against AC Milan... ;)

I wonder if some of the overpaid players and staff at the club will forgo a similar %age of their weekly wage to help out the club? :mad:

And how much you reckon we will make from the AC game ? A half empty stadium.... although, could be a good opportunity for Bears to vent their spleens at what is happening at our club - assuming the club survives that long ;)

If the salaries are 44 mill (I think BD projected that) then a 10% pay cut would result in ANNUAL savings of 4 mill - not enough for the short term funding required. 10% to some of these players is nothing, but to others it is significant.

The Tims must be pishing themselves laughing at us - it doesn't help them though having a non-existent Rangers will hit them in the pocket too.

If the major issue is the wage bill, why isn't the man responsible for contracts, wages, fees etc in the spotlight? Wonder what percentage of pay increase / bonus he'll get this year once he's sold all our players?

Cammy F - Murray & Bain GTF Loyal RSC

If the major issue is the wage bill, why isn't the man responsible for contracts, wages, fees etc in the spotlight? Wonder what percentage of pay increase / bonus he'll get this year once he's sold all our players?

Don't be silly............don't you know it's all the Rangers fans fault ? :devil:

And how much you reckon we will make from the AC game ? A half empty stadium.... although, could be a good opportunity for Bears to vent their spleens at what is happening at our club - assuming the club survives that long ;)

If the salaries are 44 mill (I think BD projected that) then a 10% pay cut would result in ANNUAL savings of 4 mill - not enough for the short term funding required. 10% to some of these players is nothing, but to others it is significant.

The Tims must be pishing themselves laughing at us - it doesn't help them though having a non-existent Rangers will hit them in the pocket too.

Not that long ago they were the ones nearly out of business and now it's us, so it's turned full circle.

It can only be down to one thing the way the clubs are ran. They have bought players who at least seem to play for the jersey or at least get moneyback or a profit for the duds or fringe players who are not. They have also hardly spent much on players the last few years and qualified for Europe and brought some youngsters through. We have done the opposite.

Yet the only way to ensure CL money is to win the SPL.

Anyway, what happend to the CL, UEFA Cup and transfer fees for CC and Hutton? Theres a nice ~�£40M right there...... add that to record season ticket sales, you've got to ask (once again), where's all OUR money gone SDM?

Cammy F

What I want to know is how the wage bill got out of control again? One of Bain's first tasks was to sort it out which he did when Eck was here, ahead of the timescale that SDM gave him. But quietly over the last couple of years it seems to have crept up again.

As for Bain, I think he has had some unfair stick during his time here, particularly as he's only following SDM's policies, but during his tenure, we've consistently been having to pay players to leave the club early, paid over the odds for players coming in, let players leave for much reduced fees or for free, paid ridiculously high bonuses to players and as JCD has proved, paid over the odds in wages.

Its a mess from the top down.

I think the only obvious people to suffer are those who have lost jobs during the credit crunch? Maybe I am wrong?

I would say food shopping is not that much dearer and if you shop sensible then you could easily save money. Fuel was up high before the crunch really came in and now has came way down again. Most businesses are saying people are not spending as much so what are they doing with it? People who have tracker rate mortgages are so much better off, and only people with savings are being hit by the interest rates aren't they?

It has not made much difference to me yet in anyway, my job is safe and I actually feel better off than I have for a while. And I have enough homebrew for a few months at least :devil:

And before you say it Ian I know the next round is mine :fish:

Sorry if this is off topic, just bored at work today being my first day back :box:

Agree with you and did a similar post previously. People are scared of the financial crisis and not spending - which is fueling the crisis. It's a vicious circle. We should all spend, spend, spend...

Guest kilbirnie

For what it is worth the accountant who represents my company is also part of the accounting team for a major sports franchise here in Canada. We were discussing the “credit crunch” and how this is perceived to be affecting sports in general along with what will be the financial implications as we move forward. His first statement to me was that we will not see the “real” impact of the economic crisis in sport until at least another 12-18 months. This is simply due to the contracts which have thus far been negotiated and signed by sponsors, players and other contractual revenue streams still being in the first 12-18 months or outside of the renegotiation stage. The first thing which will be effected once reality kicks in will be players salaries as sponsors are now looking to reduce investment in players/teams etc and this will have an impact. Based on this assessment he said that only a few will continue on high money while the rest will be fighting for the smaller pool of cash and as far as he was concerned it will be a take it or leave it scenario. His feeling on this is that egos will come in to play and as such clubs/teams will find it easy to move players on. The vast majority who will be playing will be doing so for the love of the sport rather than the love for cash, cars and bling bling. Clubs will be able to move on high earning players without much criticism from fans especially when a player is viewed as being a “show off” who is not in it for the love of the club or the game. In short more players who are more than capable of competing with reduced expectations regards to salary will be available to clubs.

In tandem with the above, sponsorship for clubs is expected to be running at less than 50% of what it is today when the next round of negotiations start which ultimately means that cash rich clubs may not be so well off. In the US all the major banks, credit lending companies and insurance giants (like AIG) are all looking to get contracts renegotiated for less money or eliminated all together. I have been told that for the Super Bowl none of the typical sponsors have come forward and that Bank of America etc have all decided that the last thing customers need to hear about is them dropping $3,000,000 on a 30 second commercial. This is a sign of things to come and as the months unfold the sponsorship money pool will get smaller and smaller meaning that clubs will have less revenue. It has also been noted that prices for games will have to be dropped as the public does not have the same levels of disposable income anymore. When you look at the NFL crowd numbers and season ticket sales have been dropping and as such options are being looked at to keep the public coming to games. Moving forward the idea is that it will be better to have arses on seats rather than play to half empty stadiums. This will again impact revenue for clubs meaning that salary expectations from players will have to once again be in line with the actual reality of normal life.

Although the above relates more to North America parallels can be drawn especially when you consider that AIG have committed to pay Manchester united $60,000,000US for sponsorship of their shirts. This is not going down well with the American public. I personally will be surprised if MU get the whole fee but then again I could be wrong. In short clubs who are viewed as being prudent now will be in better positions later when the real shit hits the fan. It does not look so good for us right now but in a year or so I bet there will be "big" clubs who wish they were in our shoes.