Don't we owe a percentage (a small one albeit) of any fee recieved for Boyd to Killie?

Reports on bbc scotland sport is that the clause is 20% so if we get 4m for boydy killie get �£800,000 thats a lot of cash to be giving away when we are supposedly in a financial meltdown. It must be bain that negotiates these clauses in the contract but for a player we bought for �£400,000 i think it would have made better sense to pay killie �£600,000 and forget about a clause, because surely its a foregone conclusion that if were signing a player that was scoring goals for fun at killie his price tag was always going to rise when he came us.

If I was SDM and Bain what I would have been doing would have been touting....... MCGREGOR.

Even in the current climate and with his drop in form we should still be able to get 3.5-4 mill for him. Alexander is an able deputy and I don't think AM would be missed that much in the short term.

However, this all looks like very, very poor club management to me.

Are the powers that be trying to tell us that this situation "crept up" on them ? What the fuck are budgets and forecasts for ? Who do they employ in their finance dept ?

They should have known (unless something came out of left field - even then, in the current climate NOTHING should surprise) about what was about to happen and the squad should been evaluated and the club then tout certain players.

I would tend to look at it from a positional perspective, as follows :

GK - yep, we could afford to lose AM because A,exander could come in and replace him

DEF - Bougherra would be the only real sellable asset - we could lose him and put Broadfoot in there - not ideal I know but certainly doable. Or we could give Webster a chance beside Weir.

MID - we could lose any one of a number seeing as we have a plethora of midfielders - Ferguson, Mendes, Davis, Beasley, Adam etc etc. We would only get decent money though for Mendes and Davis and Ferguson (if 3 mill is the number we need I think we could get that for BF). So sell one of those 3 because you still have decent cover. If we lost BF then we play Mendes and Davis at CM.

STR - up front. This is where Boyd actually becomes almost irreplaceable. Strikers offer different things but we all know goals win games. We have NOT ONE OTHER STRIKER who consistently scores goals. Now, admittedly some players havent had a chance but Boyd is proven. Boyd is the only striker we have that we could get decent money for - but he offers is the firepower to win games.

When you look at the above if I ran the club and knew I needed 3 mill I would have went out to other clubs and made the following available : McGregor, Ferguson/Mendes/Davis, possibly Bougherra but probably not Boyd.

The others have "replacements" whilst it doesn't look like we have anyone who could replace Boyd's goals.

That said, perhaps moving on some of these established players is a good route to go down - freshen things up a bit. The club has been in the doldrums for a while and the players are culpable in that respect too - so perhaps moving some on isnt such a bad idea.

As I've tried to stress several times, this isn't about Kris Boyd (or Ferguson or Davis or whoever) but the very fact our club is being run so badly we again have to sell a key player as we attempt to win the league from 5 points behind.

How anyone can begin to suggest this kind of risky strategy will result in consistency and success is beyond me?

Can't agree with the midfield situation Craig - this was the problem last season, we didn't have any cover for Ferguson when he was injured (and playing when clearly injured).

Same situation this season - say Mendes or Davis suffer an injury, who replaces them?

On paper, we have a decent squad (numbers wise) but in reality, we have very little quality wise. 2 or 3 injuries, or 2 or 3 players sold, we are into the dross.

Cammy F

Agree with you craig on 95% of your points there, but i really dont think it is the best route to go down to sell players like bougherra, davis and mendes i think they are the backbone of the team and of course boyds goals. yes the team does need a bit of a freshen up infact the club needs freshened up but i just think we should be doing everything in our power to ensure that the backbone of the team is there. If we were to lose the players mentioned then smith and the backroom staff go along with a few others it would take a good bit of time for the club to get back on track and i am not being defeatist when i make this next comment but i could actualy see the tims stretching towards 8,9 mibay even 10 in a row because the 1 thing they have at the moment is stability.

Can't agree with the midfield situation Craig - this was the problem last season, we didn't have any cover for Ferguson when he was injured (and playing when clearly injured).

Same situation this season - say Mendes or Davis suffer an injury, who replaces them?

On paper, we have a decent squad (numbers wise) but in reality, we have very little quality wise. 2 or 3 injuries, or 2 or 3 players sold, we are into the dross.

Cammy F

But look at the numbers we have in midfield too. We have the forgotten man in Hemdani, we have Edu, Adam is supposed to be a CM (good god no, dont put him there), McCulloch ?

Don't get me wrong, I think that the side would be weakened with the loss of Mendes, Davis OR Ferguson - but...... if we lost ONE of them we still have two good quality CM's in there. If we lost another due to injury then play Edu or Hemdani.

However, if we lose Boyd and there is no real scoring contribution from anywhere else in the team..... then who replaces his goals ?

I don't disagree with what you say Cammy - my main thrust really was that, for me, the management of the club have not thought this through well. McGregor would have been 1st for me as we have a good replacement PLUS kepers rarely get injured. Next, a coin flip between midfielder and Bougherra.

I don;t think Boys is irreplaceable but I think given the players at our disposal he should be one of the last let go. However, that said, this creates chances for the likes od Velicka, Lafferty, Novo - none of them will give us Boyd's scoring prowess but we may get more productivity. Again, it is the lack of creativity that worries in this regard - because if we dont create enough chances then these players wont score enough goals.

But look at the numbers we have in midfield too. We have the forgotten man in Hemdani, we have Edu, Adam is supposed to be a CM (good god no, dont put him there), McCulloch ?

Don't get me wrong, I think that the side would be weakened with the loss of Mendes, Davis OR Ferguson - but...... if we lost ONE of them we still have two good quality CM's in there. If we lost another due to injury then play Edu or Hemdani.

However, if we lose Boyd and there is no real scoring contribution from anywhere else in the team..... then who replaces his goals ?

I don't disagree with what you say Cammy - my main thrust really was that, for me, the management of the club have not thought this through well. McGregor would have been 1st for me as we have a good replacement PLUS kepers rarely get injured. Next, a coin flip between midfielder and Bougherra.

I don;t think Boys is irreplaceable but I think given the players at our disposal he should be one of the last let go. However, that said, this creates chances for the likes od Velicka, Lafferty, Novo - none of them will give us Boyd's scoring prowess but we may get more productivity. Again, it is the lack of creativity that worries in this regard - because if we dont create enough chances then these players wont score enough goals.

I know what you are saying Craig, but our first 11 is so fragile that 2 or 3 injuries (or players sold) then we are replacing them with DROSS.

SDM has killed the team, he has almost killed the CLUB. If one thing comes out of this, it may be a watershed for the fans. Maybe, just maybe the majority will wake up and notice that SDM is fookin killing the club WE love.

Cammy F

Agree with you craig on 95% of your points there, but i really dont think it is the best route to go down to sell players like bougherra, davis and mendes i think they are the backbone of the team and of course boyds goals. yes the team does need a bit of a freshen up infact the club needs freshened up but i just think we should be doing everything in our power to ensure that the backbone of the team is there. If we were to lose the players mentioned then smith and the backroom staff go along with a few others it would take a good bit of time for the club to get back on track and i am not being defeatist when i make this next comment but i could actualy see the tims stretching towards 8,9 mibay even 10 in a row because the 1 thing they have at the moment is stability.

I think perhaps with that post I didn't clarify what I was really getting at.

I don't want to sell Mendes, Bougherra, Boyd et al.

But if it were me running the club (we can ALL be thankful I am not) I would be looking at who we could lose with least effect on the 1st team.

I just don't see where the goalscoring contribution comes from if we lose Boyd.

It isnt about who I would like to see sold (the only player I wouldn't be too upset seeing sold is McGregor, and BF if the fee is right) but rather about the mismanagement of the club - it seems that they havent even thought about it. And, to me at least, it looks like they havent truly evaluated the squad and where they could lose a player or two with least resistance.

I know what you are saying Craig, but our first 11 is so fragile that 2 or 3 injuries (or players sold) then we are replacing them with DROSS.

SDM has killed the team, he has almost killed the CLUB. If one thing comes out of this, it may be a watershed for the fans. Maybe, just maybe the majority will wake up and notice that SDM is fookin killing the club WE love.

Cammy F

I 100% agree Cammy that even 2 lost players makes our team even more ordinary that it already is. But it looks like we MUST lose at least one player.

I am not convinced that of our saleable assets that Boyd is the most appropriate.

I happen to think that this WILL be a watershed. The information in the press is that we are in a financial mire - and if that doesn't wake us up the way it woke the Tims up in the 90's then OUR club is doomed.