Rangers v Aberdeen - Skol Cup Final 1988 (I think)

I think it was the 1988 Skol Cup Final we won 3-2?!?!?

Just read a thread on FF and it brought back memories for me. I remember it being the 1st game Rangers game I watched on TV ands what a game it was. I remember Ian Fergusons scissors kick to put us 2-1 up. After that I wanted to be just like him. What a goal!

Classic

Giraffe man Davie Dodds scored Aberdeens 2 goals and so nearly got a hat-trick. I could sit and watch that game all day.

Pity it's not available on DVD.

:rfc:

Was Davis Dodds not the elephant man?? :)

Yip 2 quality finals. Shows how much scottish football has went downhill. The league cup is boring and only interesting if we get a decent team in the final. Hampden in those days created a much better atmosphere

Was Davis Dodds not the elephant man?? :)

Yip 2 quality finals. Shows how much scottish football has went downhill. The league cup is boring and only interesting if we get a decent team in the final. Hampden in those days created a much better atmosphere

He is but I prefer calling him the giraffe man cause he had a neck the length of a baby giraffe.

You're spot on about Hampden too. Modern Hampden is a disgrace! The old Hampden was unreal for atmosphere. You couldn't beat it!

Guest dirtybill
I think it was the 1988 Skol Cup Final we won 3-2?!?!?

Just read a thread on FF and it brought back memories for me. I remember it being the 1st game Rangers game I watched on TV ands what a game it was. I remember Ian Fergusons scissors kick to put us 2-1 up. After that I wanted to be just like him. What a goal!

Classic

Giraffe man Davie Dodds scored Aberdeens 2 goals and so nearly got a hat-trick. I could sit and watch that game all day.

Pity it's not available on DVD.

:rfc:

Remember it well, got lifted after it, drank a half bottle o whiskey and was steam boats, i was 13:drink: crackin day

The year previous was the 3-3 game with the Davie Copper free-kick - we won on penalties - two cracking finals in 2 years.

Cammy F

Those were the games, Coop's free-kick went in like a bullet and I'm sure both cup finals attracted about 70,000 !!!

I am pretty sure I have that on video up the loft.

I've got the video of season 88-89 up my mum and dads loft. I'll need to look it out and not watch it on my DVD player. Fuck, I forgot I chucked my video player out about 5 years ago. :throwpc:

Those were the games, Coop's free-kick went in like a bullet and I'm sure both cup finals attracted about 70,000 !!!

I'm sure finals today would attract well over 70,000 if Hampden was big enough. That would easily be surpassed if Rangers took their average number home fans combined with the swell from opposition glory hunters and other hangers on.

With less frequent Rangers fans motivated to turn up to a glamour game, I think the final could easily attract 80,000 or more to a final against the likes of Hibs, and make that well over 120,000 for an Old firm cup final.

70,000 was probably more than the combined number of regularly attending OF fans. The combined total now is about 110,000.

It would depend on who was playing Cal, an OF final would fill any stadium. Rangers v Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs or Dundee Utd would probably get near 70,000.

But back in the 1987 Cup final between St Mirren and Dundee Utd there was 57,000. If those 2 played at hampden today i couldnt see it being filled.

Also there are 3 other factors why i couldnt see such big crowds at such final.

1) Seats! People in those days preferred to stand and it made for a better day out with some.

2) Prices - costs are obviously more these days

3) Interest in the league cup - The league cup used to be as interesting as the Scottish cup and had a european place up for grabs. Playing it in October also was more interesting rather then Feb/march. It gave those in form at the early part of the season a chance of silerware. Now its seen as a hinderence to some.