Kyle: I�m worth the money, Gers

he's going to need an extended run of games in his own position to prove this one way or the other. i'm not sure if walter smith'll do this. i'm not sure if many fans would, given how important it is we win these games. he needs a goal.

Can't really argue with anything he is saying.I am disappointed in him so far but I think that stems from frustration I have with the whole team.Fact is he IS still a young boy and being played out of position which can't help.I hope the lad just buckles down works hard and I am sure he will be a good signing for the GERS given time

By Andrew Dickson

WHEN Kyle Lafferty completed his move from Burnley to Rangers in June, he was thrilled as his childhood dream of joining the club became reality.

Having signed for the Light Blues team he grew up supporting at home in Northern Ireland, he beat a path so many other youngsters try to take without any success.

Kyle LaffertyBut if he thought becoming the new darling of the Ibrox support was to be an easy or straightforward affair, he quickly found out that wouldn't be the case.

The versatile forward was plagued with minor injuries in his first few weeks at Gers as back, hamstring and tooth abscess problems all sidelined him.

Furthermore, being used in a left-sided midfield position when he was fit rather than up front as he prefers made for an awkward start to his time in Glasgow.

It is natural that having cost in excess of �£3million to recruit, there is pressure on the 21-year-old to live up to his price tag.

So far - for the reasons listed - he has only shown brief glimpses of what he's capable of, yet the criticism aimed in his direction as a consequence hasn't exactly been fair.

Maurice Edu is a player who has rightly been afforded time to adapt to the game in Scotland, having only had one full season as a first-team regular.

Despite coming in for an outlay of �£2.7million, he is seen as one for the future rather than a player for the present and that has widely been accepted by the majority.Kyle Lafferty

With that in mind, it has been strange to see far more disparaging comments being made about Lafferty's early showings for Walter Smith's side.

Of course, he has been a professional for longer than Edu - albeit by just six months or so - and has only moved to the SPL from England rather than the United States.

But he is over a year younger than his colleague and last term was the first in which he didn't find himself named on a list of substitutes every other week.

In a society where people rarely display more patience than they feel they have to, perhaps an exception should be made in Lafferty's case.

After all, he is seen within the corridors of power at Murray Park as somebody who could spearhead the side's attack alongside the likes of Steven Naismith in the long term.

There are a number of Rangers supporters who feel the sum paid for the Ulsterman's services was too high for someone seen as primarily as potential.

Kyle Lafferty, RangersBut the feeling amongst the club's coaching staff is it was an amount worth parting with and the former Turf Moor favourite is eager to prove them right.

More than that, he's confident he can and those who were in attendance at the last home match against Aberdeen 11 days ago might just be inclined to agree.

There was a distinct change in Lafferty's persona during that fixture as he moved into attack from the wing and virtually became a different player within minutes.

Having previously appeared shorn of confidence, there were signs his swagger was returning and with support and encouragement, he feels he can only build on that.

Coping with his valuation is something Lafferty has had to learn to get used to in recent times and at last he seems to be getting his head around it.

"I didn't really think too much about how much money had been paid for me to begin with," Lafferty said. "I had started pretty well when I was on the field.

"But after I had more little injuries and I began to spend a lot of time on the bench, people started to highlight how much Rangers had paid for me.Kyle Lafferty celebrates with Sasa Papac after scoring

"Some were putting pressure on me and I think they're forgetting I'm still quite young and that I'm learning the game.

"I'm not using that as an excuse, it's just true. I've been a pro for a little over three years but last season was my first when I've played more than I've been on the bench.

"Even at that, I wasn't playing in my best position up front because Burnley used me out on the left instead.

"In the long run, I'm sure training with the players here and working with the coaching staff will help me improve as a player.

"I've been criticised quite a lot but it isn't going to get me down. If anything, it makes me stronger and makes me want to prove to the fans I can do a job.

"I want to show the people out there who are doubting me that Rangers do have a good player on their hands.

Kyle Lafferty"All I have to do is work hard and keep listening to the people around me. If I take their advice, I'm hopeful of doing well.

"I want to prove people who knock me wrong and I believe I can do that. The people close to me believe that too."

It isn't terribly surprising, given how shy and softly-spoken Lafferty can be, that his morale waned when his critics began to have their say.

Key to lifting his spirits again has been the approach adopted by those behind the scenes at Rangers, manager Smith and his assistant Ally McCoist in particular.

Indeed, coaxing Lafferty back into form rather than demanding an immediate upturn seems to be working over time.

The hitman added: "The gaffer and Coisty have both had a word with me and they told me to keep my head up and not to get despondent.

"If I picked up the ball, ran at defenders and then lost it, I was expecting to get a telling off for it but they've really encouraged me instead

"They've told me to keep playing my own game and I've agreed with what they've said. It has been great to have their support.Kyle Lafferty

"It has made me feel a lot more relaxed on the ball and it has helped having guys in the team who talk to you all the time as well.

"When I was out on the right of midfield against Aberdeen, I enjoyed having Kirk Broadfoot behind me because he kept me right."

You could understand to an extent if Lafferty were to cast an envious eye back to old club Burnley and wonder what might have been had he stayed there a little longer.

The Clarets caused one of English football's biggest upsets so far this season when they knocked Champions League finalists Chelsea out of the League Cup last month.

They also occupy a promising position in the Championship table as it nears its midway point and their hopes of gaining a place in the top flight are as high as anybody's.

Kyle LaffertyBut as he considers what the players he left behind have done in the last few months, Lafferty is adamant there isn't an ounce of regret at moving away from Lancashire.

He said: "Burnley have been picking up a lot of really good results. Obviously they beat Chelsea in the League Cup and are well placed in the Championship.

"But my time there is all in the past now and my only concern is Rangers and how we do here. That's who I supported as a kid and I always wanted to play for them.

"People might come up to me and say that Burnley are doing really well and that I might wish I'd been part of it all there this season.

"But I got my dream move and I'm so happy about that. I wish Burnley all the best and hope they do well.

"It would be great if they went further in the cup and got to the Premiership because then we'll all be happy. They'll have got to where they want to be as I have already."

As Rangers move into December, a crucial quartet of league matches lies ahead. Three games are at home, the first being against Hamilton Accies this weekend.Kyle Lafferty

The teams met twice in the space of four days in October, with Smith's team emerging victorious both times.

After a 3-1 league win at New Douglas Park, Gers were 2-0 winners in the League Cup at Ibrox and Lafferty scored the clincher.

One of just two goals for the club so far, he rates that effort - a soaring header from 12 yards - as the brightest moment of his time north of the border to date.

Having already breached Billy Reid's defence once this season, Lafferty is intent on doing the same again on Saturday if he plays.

"The goal I scored in the League Cup against Hamilton is probably the highlight of my time at Rangers over the first few months," he added.

Kyle Lafferty"Things didn't start off too well for me because of the injuries I had shortly after I arrived. It was a bit stop-start in the first few weeks.

"When I got into the team at first, I thought I did fairly well but then I dropped out when I pulled up again.

"In the game with Hamilton, I had come back from an injury and it was good to score as it was at a point when I was getting a bit frustrated.

"Even those it wasn't a league game, it still meant a lot to me and it was great to score another goal at Ibrox.

"You can score against anyone so I don't necessarily go along with the theory that there are certain teams people like playing because of goals they've got in the past.

"But with that said, it does tend to be the case that some players have a habit of scoring against particular side and it would be nice to think I could have that with Hamilton."

Players "running to the press", a comnplaint i've never really understood.

As a professional sports man you undoubtedly have a lot of spare tiem during which you are contacted by the press for comment or obligated by the club to make statements for their official output which is picked up and regurgitated by the press.

If they are obliged to make noises in the media surely they should be positive noises?

As a professional sports man you undoubtedly have a lot of spare tiem during which you are contacted by the press for comment or obligated by the club to make statements for their official output which is picked up and regurgitated by the press.

If they are obliged to make noises in the media surely they should be positive noises?

Couldn't agree more. It's not like football players are chapping on anyone's door to get in the press. Quite the opposite is the case.

But players who are continually shite have no right to pull the wool over fans eyes with their false statements. Do they think the supporters are thick?

Like I said before in a previous thread, I don't agree that Walter's playing him out of position. In Kyles own words...

"I've been a pro for a little over three years but last season was my first when I've played more than I've been on the bench.

"Even at that, I wasn't playing in my best position up front because Burnley used me out on the left instead.

Throughout this period the player established himself as an international and attracted interest from several 'bigger' clubs. My point is that he couldn't have been doing too bad a job out there on the left.

So he prefers playing up front? I say we stick him back on the bench and bring him on for Boydy (who, let's face it, deserves more to be playing there) with 15-20 mins to go and see if he 'prefers' that to a starting berth.