Valencia to review Aaron loan in summer.

Afriad not in some peoples views mate. He got his finger out and played well against a few lesser teams AFTER the Burley/Scotland thing. Then he has a few games against DUFC, Motherwell and Hearts and found the going tough - regardless of the service.

I was the first to say he was beginning to play well in those other games and took a few of his goals superbly, but if cant do it week in week out then its obvious he cant cut it at the top level. To win the title we need a regular goalscorer in the tougher games. Thats ONE of the differences between Coisty and Boyd - McCoist popped up all the time.

Agreed with Darcheville BTW - he was so poor towards the end of the season.

Id still like to see Lafferty upfront - on the wing we already know how bad he is.

And Velicka is a strange one - he was so promising in pre season.

So just WHICH of our current crop of strikers will score goals in the SPL Gribz given the service that they are getting ? NONE of them aside from Boyd. It really is that simple.

With no service not one of our strikers will be prolific. You state "regardless of service" - sorry but if there is NO service then it will be difficult for ANY of our strikers to score.

You say that Boyd can only score against the lesser teams.... yet you want Lafferty to play up front - someone who scored what ? 10 goals in 90 games for Burnley in the Championship ? Hardly prolific and hardly "better teams".

So just WHICH of our current crop of strikers will score goals in the SPL Gribz given the service that they are getting ? NONE of them aside from Boyd. It really is that simple.

With no service not one of our strikers will be prolific. You state "regardless of service" - sorry but if there is NO service then it will be difficult for ANY of our strikers to score.

You say that Boyd can only score against the lesser teams.... yet you want Lafferty to play up front - someone who scored what ? 10 goals in 90 games for Burnley in the Championship ? Hardly prolific and hardly "better teams".

So your saying Boyd is the ONLY striker who will score for us??

I said we shouldnt have sold Cousin - he showed us what a striker should be doing! Id say only Miller and Novo could currently score a goal out of there own doing. With service then a few would score including Boyd.

I dont want Lafferty to play upfront, i just want to see him before deciding - simple as!

And your saying saying the Championship sides arent better teams then the rest of the SPL?? :D - Im sorry but teams like Wolves etc would wipe most of the SPL. That league has got lots of quality. In fact teams a few teams in League 1 down south would beat some SPL teams.

Unfair to judge Lafferty at Burnley as he was used wide left in a front 3. Anyone know his international stats where he is played thro the middle as a partner to Healy? Isn't 6 in 16 or something similar?

Cammy F

I still think that our forwards are the least of our problems. If we had a half decent midfield providing width and creativity, I'd put money on Boyd and any other striker scoring a barrel-load of goals. We just don't have a target man to play the long-ball game, so I don't know why we resort to it so often.

Unfair to judge Lafferty at Burnley as he was used wide left in a front 3. Anyone know his international stats where he is played thro the middle as a partner to Healy? Isn't 6 in 16 or something similar?

Cammy F

So still not as good as Boyd's international stats then ? :P

Afriad not in some peoples views mate. He got his finger out and played well against a few lesser teams AFTER the Burley/Scotland thing. Then he has a few games against DUFC, Motherwell and Hearts and found the going tough - regardless of the service.

I was the first to say he was beginning to play well in those other games and took a few of his goals superbly, but if cant do it week in week out then its obvious he cant cut it at the top level. To win the title we need a regular goalscorer in the tougher games. Thats ONE of the differences between Coisty and Boyd - McCoist popped up all the time.

Agreed with Darcheville BTW - he was so poor towards the end of the season.

Id still like to see Lafferty upfront - on the wing we already know how bad he is.

And Velicka is a strange one - he was so promising in pre season.

Boyd also played very well against Dundee Utd and was only denied by an excellent goalkeeping display. If the defence had turned up for that game Boyd would have been getting the same praise as his other recent games. Just because he did not score in that one does not mean he did not make a valid contribution.

Doesn't fit your agenda against him though.

The only games he has not played well in were in horrific team performances against Hearts and and arguably Motherwell. SO that's 2 in the last 9 including playing Dundee Utd and Aberdeen. No doubt people wishing to do him down will move the goalposts again for why they don't rate him. They;ve been moved about a thousand times since he signed.

You quite rightly highlight the problems on the field atm, Boyd is so far down them he shouldn;t even be being discussed in this thread.

Yeah SA but Boyd is always going to have his critics on here. I don't understand it at all, he is the one player that will guarantee us goals! He needs the service of course, I cant think of to many strikers who can score when they dont get the ball or a chance.

I cant believe people think WS would be taking a gamble putting Aaron into the team. The guy was thought to be player of the Tournament at the 2007/2008 Under 19 european championships, a tournament in which Bojan has also received the same praise.

We are playing f*ckin duds in this team currently, a player of even potentially this calibre should be in the first 11 every time.

Its embaressing when europe looks on at how pish poor our team is, we have Aaron and wont even play the guy.

So your saying Boyd is the ONLY striker who will score for us??

I said we shouldnt have sold Cousin - he showed us what a striker should be doing! Id say only Miller and Novo could currently score a goal out of there own doing. With service then a few would score including Boyd.

I dont want Lafferty to play upfront, i just want to see him before deciding - simple as!

And your saying saying the Championship sides arent better teams then the rest of the SPL?? :D - Im sorry but teams like Wolves etc would wipe most of the SPL. That league has got lots of quality. In fact teams a few teams in League 1 down south would beat some SPL teams.

No I am NOT saying Boyd is the only one that will score - but by the same token you are trying to say that all the rest will score against all the better teams regardless of service, correct ?

The thing is.... not one of our strikers will score goals regularly if the service from the midfield is non-existent. Did you watch the game on Saturday ? Tell me just how Boyd should be singled out for criticism when the ONLY type of service he got was a high ball up the park. JCD was far worse than Boyd yet he escapes the whole "can only score against weaker teams" argument. It is a poor argument to make IMO.

Boyd, when scoring goals for fun "wasn't doing anything else so if he doesnt score you are a man down".

Then when he improves his "team" performance it is "he needs to do it consistently over a number of games".

Then when he does it for half a dozen games and in ONE game doesn't it is "see, told you that he could only score against the smaller teams". Yet this latest argument is at a time when the service to the strikeforce has been missing. No matter which striker you talk about they will have games when they don't score. At Rangers Boyd scores in more games than he doesn't which is a statistic that NOT ONE of our other strikers can boast.

Even the world's best strikers will struggle to score if their service is shit. Playing long balls up to Boyd is NOT playing to his strengths yet we persist in this type of system because the midfield are not creating anything. That isn't Boyd's fault.

Then you use the "Cousin" argument. Newsflash Gribz - he isnt here so we have to get used to it. And, IMO, Boyd has been improving a great deal and his all-round play is getting better - not maybe to Cousin's standard.... YET, but he is working on his game. But here is the rub - you want Cousin to be the role model ? I remember watching him against Falkirk last season and he did NOTHING for 85 mins. His replacement did more in 5 mins than Cousin did the WHOLE game and, in fact, his replacement scored whereas Cousin didn't..... who was the replacement ? Yep, am sure you know !!! What was Cousin's scoring record for us ? I don't think it was prolific. Can he make a goal out of nothing ? Yes. Did he do it often ? No. Would Saturday's game been his "type" of game ? Not in my mind. He would have hidden like he did on so many other occasions.

Lafferty deserves a chance but at who's expense ? Boyd's ? Why ? Boyd hasn't warranted being dropped. His work-rate is decent and he tries to bring other players into the game - simply he is showing he is trying to improve. But Boyd should be dropped because he didn't score against Hearts - and that, in large part, due to the ineptitude of our midfield ? VERY HARSH.

I agree Re Championship sides down south. Thing is though, Lafferty still didn't score many goals in the games he played there. I am not saying get rid of Lafferty - he needs a shot in his preferred position - but I just don't see why Boyd should drop out for him. Boyd is one of the very few players who seems to have actually improved this season vs last season - yet he is top of the list when things go wrong and that is poor IMO.