WS - a truly awful tactician

I absolutely detested Wattys management of the squad during the UEFA Cup run last season as did a few others on the site.

I know why as well & it wasn't just the formation & defensive use of the 4-5-1, it was the glaring stupidity of some of the starting team & sub selections. We still got to the final though... :)

Edited by Zappa

I know why as well & it wasn't just the formation & defensive use of the 4-5-1, it was the glaring stupidity of some of the starting team & sub selections. We still got to the final though... :)

he even tried to win the final on penalties.

The biggest single disappointment in fifty years following Rangers was Smith's approach to the UEFA cup final.

Personally I was very disappointed too. We got to the final and that, in itself, was a great achievement. To go out and try to win it with some open football would have been great.

That said, I still can see the approach taken as it was one which saw us dispose of some decent teams in the previous rounds (regardless of the brand of football).

Personally I was very disappointed too. We got to the final and that, in itself, was a great achievement. To go out and try to win it with some open football would have been great.

That said, I still can see the approach taken as it was one which saw us dispose of some decent teams in the previous rounds (regardless of the brand of football).

Understood Craig. I was only referring to the final itself. To get to a final and make next to no attempt to win it, only Smith could come up with those tactics and then try to justify them afterwards. Muppet!

Come on lads, we may have been disappointed, but were we surprised.

not really m8, but if he did give it a go we may have won it you never know. it's just that he didn't try one bit to win the game in 90 mins and that is sad for any manager, the fans deserve/deserved much better.

Understood Craig. I was only referring to the final itself. To get to a final and make next to no attempt to win it, only Smith could come up with those tactics and then try to justify them afterwards. Muppet!

I think that's OTT. I wasn't 100% happy with the team selection, but the players that played deserve most of the discredit. All in all they probably played roughly to a WS game plan, but they didn't do it well by any means. They played very nervously & BF didn't step up with the passion & effort required to help command the midfield in any way shape or form. A few moments perhaps, but by in large the Ukrainian midfielder Timashuk (can't remember the correct spelling off hand) commanded the midfield for over 70% of the game imo.

Still, If they hadn't scored their first goal I think we might just have caught them out like we did with so many other teams last season. Also, lets not forget that Zenit were no merely decent side when we played them. They were a quality side that had recently hammered Bayern.