Commentators pronouncing things "wrong"

Why do commentators make funny pronounciations?

Admittedly they should try and pronounce names as they are said in their mother tongue.

However why over the course of the Euro's did Joachim Low become Yo-kym lurve? Just sounds ridiculous. Tonight's commentatos at the City game made a similar bizarre attempt at his name that trigerred (sp) this rant!

For years Barcelona were called Barcelona, no you get mostly Sky commentators saying Barthelona with a stupid lisp. Yes I know that is how it is said in Spain, but we're not in Spain, you're not Spanish and you sound a twat.

Brings back horrible memories of McLaren talking like an arse in Holland.

On a slightly different subject (sorry), earlier this week I heard Charlie Nicholas came out with the classic "they need to solve their solutions".

Back on the subject, apparently the bold Archie thought we had a striker pronounced "Darkieville, but at least he has got his age as an excuse.

No worries BD.

I think I just have anger management issues, but for some reason it does rile me.

If they had always made the effort for the native pronunciation fine, but suddenly start doing it for only a few names and countries is odd. With the German coaches name being of particular annoyance.

I think players should be pronounced as they say it themselves. It only takes one reporter to ask and the rest to listen.

Prso had about 10 pronunciations from commentators in his time here, but I seen him on youtube pronouncing it as "prushow".

As for place names, I also think they should be pronounces similar to the locals, so it should be Parry San Jerman with a soft "j" and therefore also Barthelona. It should be also be Torino and not Turin, and Roma not Rome. Even Newcastle should have the stress on the "cas" and not the "new" and Greenock Morton should be pronounced as it reads and not "Grenock" as some English commentators call them.

Foreigners should also do this for UK teams and the French should definitely call us "Raingers" not "Raungers"...

I do find the standard of commentators English getting poorer and their are plenty of regional dialect instances that get on my nerves, the worst for me being pronouncing silent H's and dropping the ones that should be pronounced coupled with using "an" instead of "a" - eg "an 'otel" instead of "a hotel". They do the latter on BBC news too, but it's just poor knowledge of English and the standard should be much higher on national news.

Scottish commentary is pretty poor now as they are using pretty thick ex-players who probably left school with no qualifications, and probably hardly attended an English class.

If I can't get a game for Rangers because I'm not a good enough player, why should they get a job commentating when they are not good enough at speaking?

I think players should be pronounced as they say it themselves. It only takes one reporter to ask and the rest to listen.

For players names I agree with that. Its like Jenas used to be called Jen-us, and that requested it to be Jean-us.

As for teams / countries then it should be how we say it in our language.

So you're saying we should say:

Royal Madrid

Athletic Madrid

Sporting of Corona

Spanish (Espanol)

AS Rome

Pariss Saint Germain

Ajax (as in the floor cleaner)

Turin (Torino)

International Milan

Florence (Fiorentina)

Venice (Vinezia)

Naples (Napoli)

Baloney (Balogna)

Keltic (Celtic)

Irish (Hibernian)

Inverness Scottish Thistle (ICT)

sorry to delve into sociolinguistic mode, but there's no such thing as correct pronunciation of anything. it's just normative. for instance, we tend to think of bbc english as 'correct' pronunciation when it was really just chosen as it was a southern-english dialect - the dialect of the rich folk in that area. everything's accent - there's no accent-less. so, there's no correct pronunciation. there is, however, annoying pronunciation, which is being discussed here! :D