that's why they're so uptight about the internet. the only difference between online writing and newspaper writing is power structures - they get first hand access to the 'news'. that's it.

uh-oh..... just wait till Gribz is on.... it will be "force-fed" the news, not access to it ! :fish:

You are right though Barry - there are plenty of people online who would put people like Spiers and his ilk to shame should they tread the journalism path.

I always felt that telling the news in its simplest form is the way to go - Spiers tries to use eloquent language which gets lost and, in fact, it even dilutes the message it is attempting to convey !

as much as gribz is a conspiratorial nutter (:D), much news is pre-packaged. though its less extravagent than power-hoarding-reptiles-who-secretly-lord-it-over-humanity, its true all newspapers do is reflect debates within current structures (ie: those at the top heard, those at the bottom ignored) with no end or goal, and call it news. so, you'll hear gordon strachan and walter smith's take on bigotry regardless of whether the person in the pub is really hte man with the wisdom. or, you'll hear "good news" that the tax rate has dropped because most people will think its good news - small personal lenders, however, will disagree but you don't get to hear them. so the media tends to reflect perspectives rather than the events, but still thinks and talks like its reflecting events.

then you just get graham spiers. i used to hate him, i think i just pity him now. i really hope its all a windup - i could respect that. someone who dedicates their whole life to creating the most annoying things that'll get a lot of people annoyed in the most annoying language, it's not my cup of tea, but i could at least understand it. if he actually believes any of the nonsense he writes though then he is a lost, lost, little soul, entirely defined by what he's against. and what he's against is so petty, and barely existent, that it would make his whole life defined as arguing uneloquently against his own stupidity. sad days for him - sadder days for anyone who reads along nodding enthusiastically.

I remember someone about 6 months ago on here proclaiming the Credit Crunch was a total myth force fed to us by the media.

Well, it's one huge conspiracy if he's right...

Credit Crunch ? What Credit Crunch ? :D

I remember someone about 6 months ago on here proclaiming the Credit Crunch was a total myth force fed to us by the media.

Well, it's one huge conspiracy if he's right...

If you want to debate this then we can in the lounge. Cant remember anyone stating it was a myth...however I can remember someone stating it is man made and created.

Spiers doesnt deserve space on this forum. He is bitter and on the wind up and will take any chance he gets to attempt to belittle anything to do with Rangers.

Anything economic is by default man made as it's a bunch of abstract ideas created by humans.

However my argument was that any Ibrox stadium expansion could be put on hold due to the economic downturn and the fact that credit would be difficult to obtain.

Someone argued that there was no economic downturn and it was just media sensationalism, and that his company and any other could get as much credit as they liked.

As for a conspiracy, everyone seems to be a loser except for a handful speculators.

Anything economic is by default man made as it's a bunch of abstract ideas created by humans.

However my argument was that any Ibrox stadium expansion could be put on hold due to the economic downturn and the fact that credit would be difficult to obtain.

Someone argued that there was no economic downturn and it was just media sensationalism, and that his company and any other could get as much credit as they liked.

As for a conspiracy, everyone seems to be a loser except for a handful speculators.

The one thing FOR SURE is that it is incredibly difficult to get credit these days. Our Company execs have met with Lehman (still operating), Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan etc etc and where 2 years ago they would give you as much money as you liked they have pulled the reins in completely.

Calscot is right - everything about an economy (for the most part) is man made because the decisions are made by a bunch of humans who have no crystal ball and who have the decisions they make almost pre-defined by party politics.

I also agree, when it comes to who is winning and losing in this downturn you can bet that even the "illuminati" are losing - the only way they won't be losing is if they are speculating and "shorting" the market. Chances are they don't get into funky investment strategies.

I am no economist but it seems to me that it is impossible to have economies constantly growing - at some point there has to be contraction.

Anyway, Spiers is still a bitter wee cretin.

Anyway, Spiers is still a bitter wee cretin.

Someone as twisted as Spiers is certain to get what's coming to him. The way he's headed, he better always remember to look both ways when crossing the road, since he might get hit by a bus or 40 tonne truck otherwise (which would of course be a shocking & terrible tragedy. Glasgow would literally be flooded with tears to the extent that you could sail down Argyle street).

It wasn't someone, it was me. And here's why. Over the last nine months or so I've built and recently moved into a new office and factory facility. I'm in the process of converting the development overdraft facilty to a term loan and I have three banks not only willing to provide a range of financing options but actually competing for the business. Two of them have have been prepared to negotiate down their banking margins and arrangement fees. Credit certainly IS available and apparently in some abundance. During the last six months I have also bought and financed three large CNC machines without the slightest problem.

Today I heard that the government is supposedly considering "forcing" banks to lend money. What a crock. The thought that governments will exercise better judgement than banks is ridiculous.

In the real world, outside of the media political circus, I've seen no great shortage of credit. What there might well be is an increasing scarcity of credit for companies and individuals that present undue or unacceptable risk and I can't say I find that a bad thing. Perhaps those are the people the government wants the banks to go back to lending to?

Conspiracy? I've no idea. What I can tell you is my own recent experience and I'm no speculator. Of course why let facts get in the way of a much needed political excuse.