Sports Personality of the Year

Assuming Hamilton doesn't bottle it again this weekend and wins the F1 title he will undoubtedly win SPOTY.

An absolute crying shame if he does.

This year there is only one contender:

article-0-025784D000000578-609_468x495.jpg

Most succesful British Olympian in over a century.

However very rarely does the most deserving sports star win it.

Think it was the year before Calzaghe won it, it was a quietish year for British sport and I think he should have won it too, but it went to the Royal horse rider (Zara Phillips is it).

Might be hazy about the details but certainly to give it to a show jumper was bizarre. If not Calzaghe I definitely remember there was someone who was more succesful in a sport that appeals to a wider audience.

Edited by Super_Ally
Admin move, being a mong and posting in wrong forum :o

I would agree with you there... Before the Olympics it was all about the young lad who was diving, and ofcourse others... Hoy never got a look in...

I hope he wins it, but Hamilton will if he wins the F1 Championship.

• 1 month later...

Hoy won. I'm amazed. British public are smarter than I give them credit for and can think for themselves.

Thought they'd be swayed by the gutter press and the PR camapaigns for Adlington and Hamilton.

THe right person won.

Phelps should've beaten Bolt to the overseas award though, strange decision.

Hoy won. I'm amazed. British public are smarter than I give them credit for and can think for themselves.

Thought they'd be swayed by the gutter press and the PR camapaigns for Adlington and Hamilton.

THe right person won.

Phelps should've beaten Bolt to the overseas award though, strange decision.

Congratulations to Hoy !! Very, very well deserved.

I think Phelps would have been a better choice too, but you can't deny what Bolt did too - world records in both the 100 and 200 - they should maybe have given a joint award.

Congratulations to Hoy !! Very, very well deserved.

I think Phelps would have been a better choice too, but you can't deny what Bolt did too - world records in both the 100 and 200 - they should maybe have given a joint award.

What Bolt did was unbelievable. Just unfortunate that his achievements came the same the year as Phelps imo. 9 Olympic golds with about as many world records.

Much like Hamilton or Calzaghe this year, quality achievements just came up against people with better achievements imo.