Famine Song Statement

Opinion? You mean he didn't actually know?

Well obviously he did know (or thought he did) so he was stating the RST's position/opinion on the sanction which was to support the public calling for fans to stop singing it.

This position/opinion could have been challenged by those present. It wasn't.

I still have that partcular letter and he did not confirm the ban mate.

He did say that I would recieve a copy of the written grounds if I contacted the club, so I duly did, in fact one of letters was sent to Carol Paton amongst others and I did not even recieve an ackowledgement from any of them, then of course we had all the rst stuff that basically said we were to drop it as it was gone.

UEFA didn't deny it either.

Obviously I don't know the wording of your letter, but in the reply to one that I sent they didn't deny the ban, although it was specifically referred to.

It's not proof that it is banned, but organisations like UEFA would tend to point out inaccuracies like that if it was not the case so that they are not caught out legally by implicitly agreeing to something by remaining silent on it.

Perhaps off-subject (but perhaps not) in another letter, they say that they fully support Nil By Mouth. :eek:

Perhaps off-subject (but perhaps not) in another letter, they say that they fully support Nil By Mouth. :eek:

This is the problem you see...

UEFA have allowed themselves to be dictated to by any two-bit organisation who feel they have the right to comment. Spiers, NbM, Celtic fans etc etc but because our club won't stand up for itself, they take these comments at face value instead of ignoring them.

Meanwhile, when we complain about stuff, we get nowhere because Celtic do defend themselves while other 'authority' figures prevaricate.

At the very outset, UEFA should have stuck by their initial decision two years ago. The fact they didn't means we have the current ludicrous status quo in Scotland.

This is the problem you see...

UEFA have allowed themselves to be dictated to by any two-bit organisation who feel they have the right to comment. Spiers, NbM, Celtic fans etc etc but because our club won't stand up for itself, they take these comments at face value instead of ignoring them.

Meanwhile, when we complain about stuff, we get nowhere because Celtic do defend themselves while other 'authority' figures prevaricate.

At the very outset, UEFA should have stuck by their initial decision two years ago. The fact they didn't means we have the current ludicrous status quo in Scotland.

You can blame UEFA for naivity but little else. If only one side of the argument is being put forward, UEFA can only act upon the information to hand.

Rangers is isolated and fast becoming reviled across the spectrum of society. There is no "we" here, only one person is responsible for this situation. Our complicity lies in our tolerance and apathy towards this chairman.

Edited by maineflyer

Scottish Premier League executive chairman Lex Gold has labelled supporters who sing sectarian and abusive songs as "mindless thugs and morons".

Talking at the launch of a new campaign by the SPL to raise awareness of the Scottish Poppy Appeal, Gold spoke candidly of the difficult task the authorities and clubs face in trying to eradicate Scottish football's problems.

He said: "Clubs know they need to be alert and make sure their fans are doing all they can to avoid sectarian or other offensive abuse.

"The verse of the song that has featured hugely is racist, it's not sectarian as such, it's racist. The rules were structured to help to try to tackle this.

"You don't start with points deduction. We have a range of sanctions which can be applied.

"I just wish that this is going to go away. We're going to work hard on our side to try to make sure that it does."

Gold insisted the onus was on clubs to deal with the perpetrators.

"Clubs will have to keep alive to the need to ensure they're doing the most they can to prevent sectarian or other unacceptable behaviour of their fans," he added.

"The test for us is, are the club doing the maximum they can to ensure that their fans behave?

"To date, that is what has happened but I've got be careful because there are certain things we're considering at the moment.

"But there is no doubt they've worked very hard with us and I think it's going in absolutely the right direction.

"I would hope that we can concentrate more on the vast majority of supporters, not the mindless thugs and morons who besmirched the name of our game."

Speaking of his contribution in raising awareness of the Poppy Appeal, Gold said: "It just came to me that this was the 90th anniversary of what was the bloodiest conflict (World War One), and I thought it was something we should do, and worth remembering."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/11/03/SOCCER_Sectarianism.html&TEAMHD=scotspremiership

Well, what did you hear?

As that's what I remember and that's what it is in the official minute.

Just checked the official minute's............

SM opened the question and answer session.

Q1

. With the recent UEFA verdict and continued pressure from the media, as well as Nil By Mouth apathy and

also discussions with senior Rangers employee (who claimed he felt ââ?¬Å?We are the peopleââ?¬Â was sectarian) - what

does the Trust believe to be considered a sectarian song, taking into consideration ongoing discussions with

the club etc?

A1

. DE explained that talks were ongoing with the current working group consisting of the club, RSA, RST and

Blue Order, and as such the fans were asked to stop singing The Billy Boys via a UEFA sanction. He

explained this also included the additional parts of songs or revised lyrics and as such the fans have

responded tremendously. DE confirmed the Trust does not share a viewpoint with the RFC employee on this

matter.

MD also added that Rangers fans were to expect more attention from various quarters, and that further

scrutiny can be anticipated. The Trust continues to work with the club and fans representatives to ensure that

the cultural heritage of the club remains untarnished and celebrated.

This answer is only the one that the club told them to say IMHO, also it was not D E who gave the opinion and it was an opinion that no one at the top table disagreed with.