Essien Blow for Chelsea

Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines after suffering a cruciate knee ligament injury.

Essien suffered the knee injury during Ghana's defeat to Libya last Friday.

It was feared the midfield powerhouse had suffered a serious injury and Chelsea have confirmed Essien has ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament.

The former Lyon star is now expected to undergo surgery and he is likely to be sidelined for up to six months with the problem.

A Chelsea statement read: "Michael Essien suffered a knee injury playing for Ghana on Friday.

"He has ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament and will undergo an operation as soon as the majority of the swelling has subsided. We expect this to happen in a week's time.

"In the meantime Michael has started rehab in the aqua therapy centre at Cobham which will improve the condition of the knee prior to surgery. A return to full fitness is not expected for several months."

Essien admitted he was devastated by the injury which will see him miss a large chunk of the season.

"There was no challenge but after I cut out a cross and landed I felt awkward and the pain was sharp. I am devastated but these things happen in football," Essien told KickOffGhana.com.

Absolute nightmare for Chelsea. 6 months, he is so important to them too. I wonder how many players suffer an injury of this length while on international duty.

I actually gives Scolari 1 less headache to worry about as he couldnt fit Essien, Ballack, Lampard, Deco, J Cole, Mikel and Malouda into the same midfield.

It is a blow though becuase Essien would be in my team every week.

Dont really rate Malouda, Im not sure if Ballack is still injured but is only short term anyway. I think Mikel will fill the Essien rolebut its still tough to choose a midfield for them, or their best one anyway

Dont really rate Malouda, Im not sure if Ballack is still injured but is only short term anyway. I think Mikel will fill the Essien rolebut its still tough to choose a midfield for them, or their best one anyway

Malouda gives them width if they need it. I think they will in some games now that SWP has gone and they didnt get Robinho. J Cole can play wide but he isnt a natural hugger of the touchline.

Think your right there aboout Malouda, he will give them more width and may also get more of a run in the team now SWP has gone.

All I can really see is a 5 man midfield of:

Cole----Ballack-----Deco-----Lampard-----Malouda

Certainly Cole and Malouda will get forward, and any of the middle 3 could operate anywhere to cover eachothers forward runs IMO, each of them world class.

Id still like Mikel in though. Great headache to have.....

Im not too sure about Mikel yet, i dont think he is a patch on Makelele or Essien.

If Anelka got his finger out and played like his Arsenal days then he and Drogba would be scary and that would mean another midfielder dropping out

I was suprised that they didnt sell Lampard tbh. Too many world class players in there to be left out for whatever reason. But yeah, Drogba and Anelka would be lethal if Anelka got anywhere near the form of his Arsenal days.