Smith should resign and we should start from scratch. Obviously to start from scratch would take investment (both emotional and financial) in the club from the chairman/owner.

If WS really is a Rangers man, then surely he should resign? I'd rather that happened now, before the SPL starts, than it happens during the season if we're still struggling as that's just wasting valuable rebuilding time.

The financial situation we find ourselves in now must be extremely grim, but surely getting a new manager in who won't make the same glaring mistakes as Smith has been is preferable to what we're looking at now?

If WS really is a Rangers man, then surely he should resign? I'd rather that happened now, before the SPL starts, than it happens during the season if we're still struggling as that's just wasting valuable rebuilding time.

The financial situation we find ourselves in now must be extremely grim, but surely getting a new manager in who won't make the same glaring mistakes as Smith has been is preferable to what we're looking at now?

Any new manager would need to work with the incompetent players that Smith has signed.

Perhaps this person could get more out of the team - especially in an attacking sense - but it would certainly be a difficult job with little or no money provided to do it.

Between a rock and a hard place doesn't quite describe this. :ffs:

Smith is saying there has been a problem with the players desire etc since they came back for pre-season. Is it not his and his management teams job to get that sorted out? And of course they have not done this.

I have to say I'm not impressed with Smith's comments so far in the media. It looks like everyone's to blame apart from him. As for blaming the players, are these not the players he signed in the first place?

Unfortunately, I can't see many managers (especially ones with good reputations to protect) wanting to take over a team who are listless and without a genuine midfield...

Smith should resign and we should start from scratch. Obviously to start from scratch would take investment (both emotional and financial) in the club from the chairman/owner.

I can't see that happening so we are in big trouble.

Very serious trouble indeed. This has been coming since Advocaat left. McLeish took a job that a more established manager would have left alone (cf Alex Ferguson, Jim McLean in the 1980's). The appointment of PLG was ciminally ill-conceived and only Walter Smith would ever have taken on Murray's poisoned chalice. But many of us knew from day one that the chances of Smith redeeming the situation were very slim and here we are at last, marooned without a paddle in sight.

Only the stupidity and disinterest of the many nodding dogs and performing seals in the seats at Ibrox allow Murray to continue to operate this shambles with impunity. It's time for the daft wee boys to shut up and the commited supporter to find his/her voice again.

He has to hit the ground running in the league. We need a great start and a win against Celtic. A bad start should seal the end

I was just about to post something similar. Say we do have a good start in the league, is that not just going to be another case of us papering over the cracks? Its a similar position to Eck, when we had a good European run which was distracting from just how dire things were in the SPL.

So we have a good start, beat Celtic, then does that mean our troubles are over and everything's fine? We could have another season like last year in the league where we somehow throw away a points advantage and capitulate to Celtic in the last few weeks and find ourselves no further forward than we are now.

I think Walter will get the season to try and win back the league, and if history is anything to go by he should be able to do it.

Rangers went straight out of Europe to Victoria Zhizkov in 2002 and we went on to win the league.

Celtic went straight out to Art Media Bratislava in 2005 and won the league.

Another parallel is uncanny where both Rangers and Celtic got to the UEFA cup final and both lost the league on the last day of the season.

It seems it's easier to win the league when you're not in Europe therefore Smith has absolutely no excuse - and so if he fails he should leave.

The team looks dire at the moment, although it has to be remembered that we haven't even started the domestic season.

I think that's a contribution and seems madness to me that we don't start our league before the CL qualifiers - especially when so much is at stake for our second top team and Scotland in general.

I don't know how Walter could have let things get so bad so quickly when surely he should have been BUILDING on the foundation of a decent and almost great season.

It looked like we just need a bit more creativity in the middle and cutting edge up front to be a pretty decent side. But instead of adding those ingredients, we seem to have the lost the defensive and organisational qualities we already had as well as that winning mentality.

I think some of the factors are the combined anticlimax hangover from last sesaon, losing two of our most influencial players, lack of match fitness and practice, and the general fear factor that made us go out thinking about the consequences of defeat rather than that of a win. The winning mentality was just not there.

It's almost like we need to start all over again instead of enhancing what we have. Every year we seem to have to rebuild and this time I thought we had something pretty good to build on.

However, one of our biggest assets was heart, and that seems to have disappeared completely.