JOHN FLECK says he's ignoring all the hype about him after he scored his first goal for Rangers on Wednesday night.

John FleckThe 16-year-old broke his Light Blues duck when he grabbed the clincher six minutes from the end of the 3-1 friendly win over Sportfreunde Lotte.

Big things are expected from Fleck, whose double proved decisive in last season's Youth Cup final win against Celtic at Hampden.

But he isn't paying any attention to it the anticipation of others and is focused only on playing his way into Walter Smith's first-team plans now.

Fleck said: "I just let all of that bypass me and allow people to keep talking. I'm sure there folk are a few out there who don't like me as well.

"I feel I've learned a lot in the last 12 months but all that matters now is that I keep doing what I'm doing.

"I don't know what will happen this season but I'll just keep working hard and doing my best to get into the squad.

"A few of the young lads have a chance of being involved because of the SPL's under-21 rule but if I keep doing what I'm doing, hopefully that'll be enough for me."

Fleck was thrilled to find the net against Lotte, his goal coming after a lay-off from debutant Andrius Velicka.John Fleck

But it says much about the high standards he sets himself that he feels he should have got on the scoresheet much sooner than he did.

Fleck added: "Obviously it was great for me to start and for the team to win. I should probably have had three or four goals but it was still good to score one.

"With the first couple of chances I had, I was still nervous as it was early in the game and I hit them straight away.

"I was unlucky with another one but the last one sat up well and I was really pleased that it went in."

Fleck is relishing his opportunity to work with Smith's squad here in Holland and in Germany this week.

He was also involved in last summer's pre-season tour, making a brief appearance in the 4-2 win over SV Lippstadt as a replacement for Nacho Novo.

But having just completed a top-team game for the first time, the teenager believes he is making progress and few would disagree.

Boyd congratulates Fleck after his great strikeFleck said: "It is great being away with the team this week. This is all I ever wanted to do and after being part of the group at this stage last year, it is good to be here again.

"Last summer, I got a few minutes in one of the matches but now I've just played a full game and hopefully I'll just keep progressing now.

"Getting that long on the pitch with the boys is only going to help me. I might feel a bit tired afterwards but it can only be good for the future.

"People are stronger and tougher than me at this level and when I'm working with the first team, they move the ball about a lot quicker but I'm getting used to that."