Thomas Buffel Leaves - Official

That is totally untrue Cal. Buffel pleaded to be released in January saying why are Rangers paying my wages if they won't play me. If Rangers would have freed him in January he would have joined Hannover. The transfer fee rangers were asking for at that time plus his wages stopped the deal from happening.

Sorry mate but you have got your facts wrong in this one.

I thought Buffel was wanting a pay off from us to leave in January which was a reason he didn't go as they couldn't match his wages. The other was Rangers asked for a 'small' fee for him but the team wouldn't pay it.

I could be wrong though :D

Gribz we're talking about Buffel, not Cuellar, so don't panic.

As good a player as Carlos is, he isnt going to create much in the final 3rd.

I think it's obvious Buffel wasn't a good footballer, he was anonymous and hardly contributed in most of his games. I would say that is the mark of a very mediocre footballer at best.

You obviously didnt watch him, or maybe your expecting Rooney. The reason he was anonymous was due to not playing due to the club not wanting to stump up 400k for him. He was always in the squads for the cup matches and made an impact when coming on - thats been stated by a few on here.

If you spent a lot of money for a car and a fortune every year on running costs, what does it say about the car when you never drive it and eventually give it away for free?

It could say you cant afford the payments for the car and have got yourself in debt!

We were silly before to think that we could get 1M for him with 3 years left on his contract when we should have let him go for free. That has cost us about 1.7M in wages.

Agreed on this point, this is bad management. Any player that isnt in the plans should leave the club.

I think in the real world it's obvious he's not a sought after player when he's worth hee haw, and it's funny that you think a player worth nothing is better than one worth 3.5M. Even Adam would probably bring in about 1M.

He hasnt been in the shop window for clubs to be interested. Id bet if he was playing more a few bigger clubs would come in for him. Only Belgian clubs are in for him because they know what they are buying. This shows the transfer market is unbalanced if Adam is worth 1million more - thats not the real world.

Barry may have had a poor season by his own standards but his best games were better than Buffel's best and his worst were better than Buffel's worst.

Barry is probably a better player on his day so his best games were likely to be better than Buffels best.

The main reason Buffel stuck around is that no-one in the world thought he good enough for them to match his Ibrox wages and he would rather do bugger all at Ibrox than take a wage cut. With only one year left on his contract he obviously sees that it's better to take a cut for one year than try to find a club after three years of not playing.

See Petes post

He (AND Gow) are just far too money oriented and part of what is wrong with the game.

You know this for a fact? And if it is true what is wrong with a player trying to get the best for themselves, if clubs offer the high wages its not the players fault. Put yourself in there shoes.

There may have been a clause in his contract meaning that Rangers would have to pay 400k if they played him, but would you pay a big fee for something you don't really want so you can use it a few times? I don't think so.

Again bad management - he should have moved on in January.

I'm just glad we got one more greedy waster off the books

Harsh. He dug in and showed the right attitude by playing in the reserves on freezing midweek matches to try and get back into the first team. It has already been stated it was the club who kept him on in January so I dont know how he can be classed as greedy or a waster.

it's all about opinions but for me he had his chance in his best position enough to show what he could do and didn't deliver enough, but again that's just my opinion. I'm just glad he's gone and hopefully won't be much of a talking point in the future!!

it's all about opinions but for me he had his chance in his best position enough to show what he could do and didn't deliver enough, but again that's just my opinion. I'm just glad he's gone and hopefully won't be much of a talking point in the future!!

I am not arguing that he never produced what we were hoping for, although i am not totally sure it was all his fault. in the time Mr Ferguson twists and turns and twists again you will probably find most forwards are well marked, I am arguing he was a money shark. Rangers agreed to pay him 17.000 pound,that is a fact and in no way does it make him a money shark,but getting the best agreeable terms for himself and the club. He was a long time severely injured but as far as i am concerned he played reserve games to get himself fit for the first team. It was Rangers who would not play him,he was desperate to play. I definitely remember an article in the papers where he pleaded with Rangers to free him up so he could move to Hanover. Sorry the only money sharks i see here are Murray, Bain and Smith who did not want to pay Feynoord 400.000pounds.

I am not arguing that he never produced what we were hoping for, although i am not totally sure it was all his fault. in the time Mr Ferguson twists and turns and twists again you will probably find most forwards are well marked, I am arguing he was a money shark. Rangers agreed to pay him 17.000 pound,that is a fact and in no way does it make him a money shark,but getting the best agreeable terms for himself and the club. He was a long time severely injured but as far as i am concerned he played reserve games to get himself fit for the first team. It was Rangers who would not play him,he was desperate to play. I definitely remember an article in the papers where he pleaded with Rangers to free him up so he could move to Hanover. Sorry the only money sharks i see here are Murray, Bain and Smith who did not want to pay Feynoord 400.000pounds.

I agree to an extent but don't see the point in paying money for playing a player who is not in the long term plans and IMO wouldn't improve the team but that's been done to death :D

He should have been released in January so it was bad business from us back then.

The Buffel discussion is ALMOST as boring as the Boyd one - ALMOST.... :flipa: to jonc and johnnyk !

Hopefully there's a lot more disscusions on boyd to come m8 :notworthy:

Buffel disscusions should hopefully fade away like his career.........

Hopefully there's a lot more disscusions on boyd to come m8 :notworthy:

Buffel disscusions should hopefully fade away like his career.........

Yeh but Fergie and Cousin discussions still have to come.:thup: