so adam, mcculloch and burke who have all been underachievers for us would have made a big difference? sorry i don't think so. when they all played they were nothing short of woeful. beasley was missed i agree. JCD missed more chances than boyd but hardly gets slated, his fitness was shocking and injury prone to say the least. some games cousin worked less and missed more guilt edge chances than boyd but it wasn't until the end of the season he started to get slated.

i agree we missed hutton big style but surely it shouldn't be down to the full backs to go forward, why is the midfield even there?

so adam, mcculloch and burke who have all been underachievers for us would have made a big difference? sorry i don't think so. when they all played they were nothing short of woeful. beasley was missed i agree. JCD missed more chances than boyd but hardly gets slated, his fitness was shocking and injury prone to say the least. some games cousin worked less and missed more guilt edge chances than boyd but it wasn't until the end of the season he started to get slated.

i agree we missed hutton big style but surely it shouldn't be down to the full backs to go forward, why is the midfield even there?

Look, I said that adam, mculloch et al weren't world beaters, but you can't expect to win things with players playing out of position - we did that for most of the season.

When playing 4-5-1, it is up to the full backs to produce the width, otherwise you get stagnated and bogged down in the middle of the pitch. We were at our best when Beasley and Hutton supplied the width and the midfield then had options out wide, or players like McCulloch and Ferguson supporting the front man. When we lost that width, our central midfield players had no options other than hit the lone front man and hope that we got bodies around him.

Cammy F

It really hasn't come across that way Pete Im afraid.

Piss an shite, then fair enough, but a lot have said he is not good enough, doesnt have this that or the other, waste of space etc etc

He's our top scorer for a reason.....he puts the ball in the back of the net more than anyone and has done so for the last 3 seasons!

It really hasn't come across that way Pete Im afraid.

Piss an shite, then fair enough, but a lot have said he is not good enough, doesnt have this that or the other, waste of space etc etc

He's our top scorer for a reason.....he puts the ball in the back of the net more than anyone and has done so for the last 3 seasons!

Just for info Jon, Huntelaar gets the exact same stick at Ajax and that is why he is behind RVN in the Dutch team. RVN can link play better but Huntelaar is a more prolific scorer.

Surely the debate can be broken down into a couple of questions ?

1. Is Boyd our most prolific goalscorer ? YES.

2. Is he a good forward Re team play ? NO.

It then just comes down to what you want from him. Do you want 25 goals a season where some of them will be hat-tricks against smaller teams but when he struggles badly against the better teams ?

He didnt play against Celtic last season but in his first season and a half he did and struggled to score.

I think that is the main thing his detractors have against him is that he will produce goals when sometimes they aren't needed but doesn't come up with those crucial game-winning goals.

Yes he showed predatory instincts to win us the CIS and he scored two againsty QoS but I reckon we would have won that game with other forwards anyway.

I said on another thread that he needs a partner up front to do the donkey work for him. If we find that player (perhaps it is Miller) then Boyd will bang in goals - but the proof will be in whether he gets them when under proper pressure, not when we are 2 or 3-0 up on St Mirren.

If you were to look at the stats I'm sure that Boyd will probably be credited with roughly as many assists as the other strikers (esp. taking into consideration the amount of game time). I agree that a lack of width did cause us problems last season. Personally I thought Burke was excellent for most of the 5-6 games he wasn't injured. Beasley was going through a settling in period in the SPL ...then got injured ...then we struggled in wider areas mainly because McCulloch and Davis (even Nacho) aren't wingers. This combined with a lack of natural width in defence did make things difficult ...and yet last season was (at least statisticaly) our best in how long?

The one thing that worries me is that because we didn't have top scorer in the league, some fans seem to be taking this harder than actually losing the league. Then when you look at the 3 forwards we've just brought in and take into account their (not so prolific) scoring records, I can't see this situation improving next season. We might well score more than the other lot overall (again), but if SMcD scores more than Boydy again, then all will be lost and of course, no matter how many games he's given, it'll all be Boyd's fault :sigh: