Victims Of Our Own Success

Guest ackbar

What success? So far all we have won is the CIS Cup!

I think the title needs changing, I am with Gazza on this one in that i feel this was avoidable

What success? So far all we have won is the CIS Cup!

I think the title needs changing, I am with Gazza on this one in that i feel this was avoidable

That is 1 more trophy that the last 2 seasons. And we will hopefully double it.

There is a Chinese saying: the man who chases many ducks catches none.

That's kinda happened to us except we've been good enough to catch one and maybe two.

We were incredibly successful this year until the fixture list became too much.

Just because you are pipped at the post twice by fresher competitors who have had a rest, does not mean you are a failure.

PS We actually lost the league in a situation where we'd just played the UEFA cup final on the Wednesday then had three games - Saturday, Monday, Thursday while Celtic had one on the Thursday after having 11 days off. If we'd had time to recover and three weeks to play the games, do you not think we'd have won all three and the league?

Even the teams we played had plenty of rest bar St Mirren whom we beat and Aberdeen and Motherwell are no pushovers.

It's scandalous.

The UEFA final too, was played after we'd played Thursday, Sunday, Wednesday whereas Zenit had only played on the Thursday and had 13 days off.

We were pretty much knobbled on both counts. You can say all you like about pros etc, but it's hard to compete against fellow pro's who have had plenty of rest and proper training and of course it's far easer to focus on one game every 10 days rather than 4.

There is a Chinese saying: the man who chases many ducks catches none.

That's kinda happened to us except we've been good enough to catch one and maybe two.

We were incredibly successful this year until the fixture list became too much.

Just because you are pipped at the post twice by fresher competitors who have had a rest, does not mean you are a failure.

We've been scraping by for months. Smiths negative tactics have cost us dear. When we needed to play attacking football we didnt know how. full stop.

Well we keep getting told it's a squad game these days but let's be honest, just how well did Walter utilise the squad at his disposal. We had basically the same team out there most weeks with very little rotation. I know they say don't change a winning team, but when your travelling all around Europe you can't expect players to be fresh every game.

I mean we pay �£2million for Naismith and he was basically sub all season, Boyds been on the bench more often than not and is still our top scorer, Buffels been nowhere to be seen and Alan Gow has turned into our Derek Riorden.

Malky

Well we keep getting told it's a squad game these days but let's be honest, just how well did Walter utilise the squad at his disposal. We had basically the same team out there most weeks with very little rotation. I know they say don't change a winning team, but when your travelling all around Europe you can't expect players to be fresh every game.

I mean we pay �£2million for Naismith and he was basically sub all season, Boyds been on the bench more often than not and is still our top scorer, Buffels been nowhere to be seen and Alan Gow has turned into our Derek Riorden.

Malky

Agreed, I said back in Feb that WS needs to rotate more to avoid the possibility of burn out. The likes of Ferguson should have been rested much more but people asked why should we change a winning side - now we know why.

And agreed, this season has not been a success, but it has been a huge improvement on the last 2 and great progression.