Summer 2008 Transfer Rumours Thread

Exclusive: Steve Davis's message of good luck to Rangers mates

Jul 29 2008 By Keith Jackson

STEVE DAVIS last night sent a good luck message to his Ibrox mates - in the hope he might be back to join them again in the Champions League.

The Northern Ireland skipper is still stuck in limbo with his future hanging in the balance as his on-off return to Rangers turns into a saga.

On Thursday last week it looked as though he was finally about to seal his dream move in time to make his second debut tomorrow night against Kaunas, who stand in the way of Walter Smith's side and a �£10million bounty in UEFA's elite competition.

But the �£2.5m deal broke down and the signing deadline came and went with Davis, who spent the last six months of last season on loan with his boyhood heroes, still stuck at Fulham.

With the move still a possibility before the end of the transfer window, Davis is desperate for Smith and his group to book their place in the second knockout round.

Davis told Record Sport: "Of course I'll be wishing the boys all the best. I'll be watching for the results against Kaunas with great interest and hoping the lads get through to the Champions League.

"It would be nice to think about playing in the Champions League with them but, right now, signing for Rangers is still a long way off.

"I'd just like it all to be resolved so I can get on with my future. For now I'm training on my own and waiting for things to get sorted out."

Meanwhile, Rangers are expected to make an offer for Cardiff defender Glenn Loovens within the next few days but reports that the Dutch ace could be heading to Ajax are wide of the mark according to the player's representatives.

I think we are quite right to be holding out on Davis. Fulham are trying to play hardball with us but why shouldn't we do the same with them when there hasnt been that much interest (seems like it is just us and Blackburn) - the only thing is you end up playing Russian Roulette.

If we can save 1 mill in transfer fee that would be of good use to go towards wages, another player or even reducing the bank loans.

Interesting Re Loovens too - looks a decent player and would be perfect foil for Cuellar as he seems to be a left sided CB which would be ideal obviously as Cuellar is right sided. Wouldn't mind us getting him as he seems to be uncompromising and from what I have seen has decent distribution.

We need to sort out the midfield before the defence though.

I reckon WS bought the 3 strikers expecting to get shot of a couple - and it is now biting him in the arse.

Pete, do you think he would be worth paying 1m for him compared to 3.5m for Davis?

He is one player I quite fancy and think we should go for. Im sure PSV would maybe take around 700k for him if they want him off the books.

I haven't seen him for about 1.5 years so i don't really know what he is like now. Going on his form from yesteryear i would say get him signed as he does get forward and score quite a lot. I hoped we would sign him when he was with Herenveen but as i say that was a long time ago.

I will say he was kept out of the PSV team by Affelay and that is no shame in my eyes as i rate him Highly.

That's the best i can do mate. Sorry.

P.S We should have been in for Ismael Assiati he is better imo and at 20 we would have doubled our money.

DELIGHTED Rangers boss Walter Smith today revealed that Madjid Bougherra's versatility helped win him a dream �£2.5 million move to Ibrox.

Smith landed the centre-half cum-midfielder from Charlton last night and is set to hand him a debut in the pre-season friendly against Liverpool tomorrow.

The 25-year-old, nicknamed Magic, was poised to sign for Barclays Premier League new boys West Brom until Gers came in with more lucrative personal terms.

And Smith is set to bolster his squad even further before next Thursday's Champions League signing deadline by landing two more midfielders. :eek:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2415163.0.0.php

DELIGHTED Rangers boss Walter Smith today revealed that Madjid Bougherra's versatility helped win him a dream �£2.5 million move to Ibrox.

Smith landed the centre-half cum-midfielder from Charlton last night and is set to hand him a debut in the pre-season friendly against Liverpool tomorrow.

The 25-year-old, nicknamed Magic, was poised to sign for Barclays Premier League new boys West Brom until Gers came in with more lucrative personal terms.

And Smith is set to bolster his squad even further before next Thursday's Champions League signing deadline by landing two more midfielders. :eek:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2415163.0.0.php

I have already said that some fans are too quick to slate Walters' transfer dealings..............KEEP THE FAITH

I have already said that some fans are too quick to slate Walters' transfer dealings..............KEEP THE FAITH

I agree, if you're going to slate him, wait till he's finished first.

The amount of pathetic lies that have been posted on here have been of Tim-like proportions and you have to wonder at the agenda of some of the posts.

People have actually stated as FACT that we'd have 3.5M to spend and others have stated 6M. Well, we're already at 8.5M and counting. So, for all those detractors - GITRUY!

The same type of people have stated as FACT that we were selling Cuellar, MacGregor and Boyd. Well, sorry to disappoint you guys, but they are still here - live with it!

I just hope we can have a good season with us at least winning the league, to add to the misery of those who are reveling in their assurance that we will fail.

I agree, if you're going to slate him, wait till he's finished first.

The amount of pathetic lies that have been posted on here have been of Tim-like proportions and you have to wonder at the agenda of some of the posts.

People have actually stated as FACT that we'd have 3.5M to spend and others have stated 6M. Well, we're already at 8.5M and counting. So, for all those detractors - GITRUY!

The same type of people have stated as FACT that we were selling Cuellar, MacGregor and Boyd. Well, sorry to disappoint you guys, but they are still here - live with it!

I just hope we can have a good season with us at least winning the league, to add to the misery of those who are reveling in their assurance that we will fail.

A bit unfair cal. that is why this is a Forum so that we can discuss possibilities, probabilities and what we think or don't think. surely opening up Threads about the possibility of Boyd, Cuellar or anyone else being sold is not a lie but a possibility to be discussed. If i say Cuellar has left the club then that is a lie.

If i say i believe he will be sold is throwing my opinion open to discussion.

If you want you can write a thread every so often and the rest can just give you the thumb's-up smiley, i think the membership will die quite quick. A lot of the discussions were started by things Walter has said himself about not being able to afford players these days.

I'm not getting at those who think there is a possibility of certain things happening - it's those continually, arrogantly and almost gleefully stating things like, "Cuellar will definitely be off", or "Fact - Walter will only have 3.5M to spend".

I love discussion but I think there are too many people these days who seem to just be having a pop at Rangers rather than discussing anything. There's a undercurrent of superciliousness and snideness I haven't seen since we had a few Timposters.

I'm all for skepticism but some of the cynicism on here deserves a repost.

Rangers to me is like a family member, it's fair enough to criticise when it's warranted but making stuff up, exaggerating or twisting things just to have a snide go at my family, is going to get my back up.

However, it's seems it's getting fashionable to do so - to quote from One Flew Over A Cuckoo's Nest, "it's like hens at a pecking party". It's easy to say you're being constructive, but as Murphy (Jack Nicholson) pointed out, it doesn't really help anyone.

The fact is that some people did state that we'd have 6M or less to spend. They are totally wrong.

Some also said Cuellar would go - they are also wrong.

Some said the 3 strikers was the end of the spending - they were wrong.

These people defend their comment by saying they are being realistic - but how can they be realistic when they are wrong, wrong and wrong?

How can I feel these guys are on mine and Rangers side, when they are repeatedly sniping about stuff which is completely and utterly wrong? How is constructive in the slightest?

In the end, to me it's not what is being said, it is the tone that gets me - and many times the tone to me is like that of a foe not a friend.

^ cal, i see your point, but forums are, in a sense, about venting as well as discussion. they get to vent, you get to say "we should be more positive" and it all goes along.

the reason you'll find a lot of people are so negative is because people think about them in the way you describe - if you've got an emotional sort of investment in anything, you're more likely to suspend rationality and ride the peaks and troughs and keep everything very much out of perspective. people need an opportunity to do that; though that doesn't mean that if you've heard too much of it you should keep quiet.

so, it's not a criticism, i think you've just to take a quite broad view about what a forum's about so that you don't start curtailing too many avenues of thought and the people that think along them. so long as everyone realises that whatever they say is fair game to be debated/agreed with etc, it's all good.