Summer 2008 Transfer Rumours Thread

I think he'll sign for us, but later in the summer. Guy is a big Rangers fan

I thought that but he's actually a Celtic supporter apparently...

Actually heard about this transfer last night but was told it was �£800K.

I was told Reynolds had passed a medical and the only stumbling block to a move was the transfer fee but reports today say he's in Mexico on holiday so not sure when this would have been done (if at all). :ffs:

I heard he was a Celtic supporter too, but the Record says it would be a dream move for him, so who knows.

Is this guy good enough to partner Cuellar? I've heard some good things about him but not seen much of him myself.

I think for around �£1million he'd be an excellent signing. He's left sided so can play centre-half or left-back (where he started his career apparently).

However, he is still very raw and I still think we'd get the best out of Cuellar (if he stays) by having another experienced player alongside him as opposed to Reynolds.

I think this shows that Walter has no worries about playing young players - his aversion seems to be introducing our own youngsters.

His record for young players since he came back is:

Adopted MacGregor as No 1 keeper - he's not that young but young for a keeper and passed over for more experienced players by two previous managers.

Adopted Hutton as No1 right back. He was about 21 at the time and was given the position and improved dramatically since.

Signed and played Broadfoot.

Gave Stevie Smith some games after he recovered from injury.

Bought Whittaker and has played him often.

Gave Burke a chance, even though he didn't take it.

Gave Adam a good run in the team including important European games.

Bought Thomson and he's now a first choice player.

Brought in Davis and made him an integral part of the team.

Bought Naismith and played him quite often.

Kris Boyd is still reasonably young and has been used quite often.

That's a whole team and a very young one at that. The thing is that they all seem to be 21 or over and it's difficult for young Rangers players to wait that long before their chance and at the same time, their peers are playing first team football for an SPL team. I think it shows our youngsters need to go out on loan more often.

The ironic thing is that while we're after a Motherwell younster, they are playing at least 5 previous Rangers youths which they got for next to nothing:

Smith, MacLean, Malcolm, Hughs, McCormack.

Funny thing is that an Osasuna player would interest the fans far more than other players being linked.

It's not too surprising that we'd feel this way when he's playing for a La Liga team who've done reasonably well recently including a good European run where they were better than us.

We find it hard to rate SPL players who play for teams that we expect to beat week in and out, unless they show they are really special - which no-one has this season. Fletcher is the best of an underwhelming lot.

Premiership players are notoriously overpriced and as many of our fans see the players we are after quite often, and the fact they are never the top players, makes our hearts sink. And most of the players we get linked with are playing for relegation candidates which does little to encourage us.

Championship players are by definition second rate and so we rarely get excited unless they are young and promising.

So while we can't expect to buy from Barca or Real Madrid, players from the likes of Osasuna still make us sit up and take notice. Especially since we signed Cuellar.

To me, those are the kind of teams we should be scouting as UEFA cup type teams in other countries should be mostly within our budget for transfer and wages.

Calscot, about your point re the youngster going on loan. I think it would be a very wise idea to try and pursue links with other clubs. A la Footie manager, we can send players on loan to gain exerience, have a first option on their players and also, and it's a big also, utilise the other teams scouting network in their home country. An eastern European team and a Scandinavian team would be sensible options I feel. Probably wo't happen - it'll cost money.