Furious Motherwell boss blasts referee

By Ron Scott

YET ANOTHER goal in the title race was shrouded in controversy yesterday.

Celtic opened up an eight-point lead over Rangers with a narrow win at Fir Park and Motherwell manager Mark McGhee left no one in any doubt at his displeasure with referee Steve Conroy.

“It was a poor decision by the ref to award Celtic a corner from which Samaras scored the winner. It was clearly a goal-kick,” insisted McGhee.

“I was adamant it wasn’t a corner at the time and, having seen it again on TV, I now know for certain it wasn’t a corner.

“Awarding a corner instead of a goal-kick may not appear a major decision, but it followed similar decisions. In the end, it undermines what we are trying to do at Fir Park.”

Not complaining

Naturally, Celtic manager Gordon Strachan wasn’t complaining.

He was quick to point out, “I’m still furious about Inverness’s winner against us and the penalty they were awarded back in December when we lost 3-2!

“Given the condition of the pitch, it had to be common-sense football here.

“In other games we’ll try to play better football, but we couldn’t adopt that attitude out there.

“Motherwell adapted to the conditions better than us, as you would expect with their knowledge of the pitch.

“I was just pleased to have quality players on the bench, such as Georgios Samaras, Scott Brown and Mark Wilson to bring on.”

Rangers, who now have four games in hand, start playing catch-up this afternoon at Easter Road.

Can he come out and say he is resting four players to face us when the two games are in the same competition, of equal importance and can significantly affect the title race?

I await Peter Liewell's condemnation of Motherwell and how they are tarnishing the sporting integrity of the game. :mad: