[FT] Kilmarnock 1 - 0 Rangers

Just now, CammyF said:

We did get an initial "bounce" when Clement took over and were in pole position to win last seasons title.

Clement then, for some reason, decided to tweak the way we played, made some very questionable team selections / subs which saw our form fall off the cliff.  We ended the season way behind Celtic.

This season started the way last finished and almost mirrors Beales time as manager (signs of trouble in pre-season and early league games).  We sacked Beale but have, for some reason, backed Clement with a new contract. 

It took SG 3 seasons to eventually win the league but what we did witness was a genuine progress season on season. It's also worth remembering the mess SG inherited. What he did manage to do was to find a way to beat Celtic on a continual basis to a point when we actually approached the OF games with a sense of knowing we'd win. Now we enter them (and other games) with a sense of trepidation. 

There are genuine question marks over all off Clements signings. None have illuminated the team. There are also genuine questions around Clements tactics and playing style.

There are also questions around his inability to change the injury situation and getting the best out of players. Both were mentioned specifically by Clement when he took over. 

It's hard to see / point to any reason as to why we should continue to back / trust him as the manager we need to turn us around (other than we can't afford to sack him and his team). 

We are now the (joint) lowest away scorers in the league, utterly embarrassing.

IMG-20241020-WA0001.jpg

After that one goal win the players took a standing ovation from the Rangers fans.. we're our own worse enemy at times.

It's quite normal for fans to applaud the team after a win and it's also common, throughout football, for a team to thank the fans after solid backing at an away match.  

Unfortunately, the first one doesn't seem to be happening very often when we're on our travels.  Clement's record away from home (domestically) is very concerning.  Which is weird, because his away record in Europe is excellent. 

Looks to me like we're still in pre season and Clement is struggling to find his best starting eleven.

The worry is the alarming levels of inconsistency within the squad , players that look good one game , then for whatever reason go into their shell the next.

Given that , it's difficult to actually pick a settled team .

20 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I said to my mate after the game we're now also rans.  

However, this is not "our level" and that sort of thinking needs to be immediately dismissed.  

Oh yes this is now the Rangers level and will remain our level for the foreseeable future 

1 hour ago, CammyF said:

We did get an initial "bounce" when Clement took over and were in pole position to win last seasons title.

Clement then, for some reason, decided to tweak the way we played, made some very questionable team selections / subs which saw our form fall off the cliff.

Fair point but I think if a couple of fixtures hadn’t been postponed the team would have had the momentum to win it. The fact that they couldn’t demonstrate mental weakness.

The away goals stat tells us all.

46 minutes ago, Chic Sharp said:

Spot on.  It's like a Lego contraption.. if you have the right pieces you can make 'x' but if not 'y' will need to do... Clement won't use the players in a formation (3-5-2) that'll suit them better.. he'll continue being stubborn - I'd've thought the Board when extending his contract should've said IF IT'S NOT WORKING CHANGE IT!!

Advocaat was good at changing tactics in different games and during them.  Another thing he had was the ability to FIRE UP the team..

Same with Gerrard and Gio.  Used to be I'd look forward to away games at the likes of Tynecastle, Pittodrie, Rugby Park and Parkhead, because we just knew Dick, Alex McLeish, Walter, Steven and Gio would have them fired up..  IT ISN'T TRUE ANYMORE.  They win away at Tannadice and take the crowds applause..

Some say we'll be lucky to finish 2nd.. I suspect it'll be much worse than that, as Parks will fancy the extra games in the Conference League. 

... sorry, but no. Gio's away days were as dire as Clement's and SG's too. SG had one really good season, i.e. 55. And our system and the players clicked in Europe. I have since banished all thoughts of those dire seasons from memory - remember, we are back for 9 (NINE) years now.

Almost any Scottish team had sussed our tactics and any new players out (since the days of Warburton) after a couple of months in the season. We never learned or changed tactics, only players. People may want to "see" a difference once the game have started, with this or that player takes up a different role, but such a system only works if you have the players. Which we don't. Neither have we high-scoring centre forwards, nor do we have high-scoring fellow attackers or midfielders contributing enough. Trying one failing thing over and over again, hoping for the better, is basically idiocy.

BTW, last season started ...

0-1 away Kilmarnock (ooops) - Beale

2-1 home Servette (dito) CLQ

4-0 home Livingston (dito)

1-1 away Servette (dito) CLQ)

2-1 home Morton (dito) LC

2-2 home PSV (dito) CLQ

2-0 away Ross (dito)

1-5 away PSV (dito) CLQ

0-1 home Scum (dito)

2-0 away St Johnstone (dito)

1-0 home Betis (dito) EL

1-0 home Motherwell (dito)

4-0 Hampden Livingston (dito) LC

1-3 home Aberdeen (dito)                Beale sacked after 7 match days, 12 points on the board

1-2 away Aris - Davis

3-0 away St Mirren - Davis

4-0 home Hibs - Clement

Yet again the serial losers shit the bed when we have a chance to do something. I'm beyond scunnered with this team. 19 years I have had a season ticket and its finishing this season. Groundhog day every season................

23 minutes ago, Whosthedado said:

19 years I have had a season ticket and its finishing this season.

I think a lot of us are genuinely fed up.  Crowds are going to get smaller, on a regular basis, in the very near future.