9 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Stuart Munro ... back in the day when I started to follow Rangers. And Robert Fleck. For some reason, fullbacks are high on that list of unsung heroes, like Davie Robertson and Stephen Wright, even Alec Clelland. Pieter Huistra or Dale Gordon. Of late, Dean Shiels and Greg Stewart.

Huistra is one on my list. (except he did have a song Ooo ahhh Huis-Tera)

Davie Robertson was highly rated though. 

Not sure about Stephen Wright - we paid 1 million and he was injury prone and hardly played. 

4 hours ago, Gribz said:

Big Slim - would you say his first spell, second spell or both? I ask because I only recall his second period at the club. He was partial to aiming the odd shot at the upper tiers. 

I think in both. He broke into the first team during a difficult period for the club, but during the title winning 86/87 season he played 47 games and scored 8 goals, our 4th highest scorer that season. Not bad for a centre half who played right back for periods. 

Souness didn't fancy him, as seemed to be the case with most of the players he inherited, and sold him that summer to Hearts. 

Smith brought him back five years later and again he did everything that was asked of him. He was solid, brilliant in the air and faster than he got credit for on the ground. He was no Richard Gough, but he was underrated and under appreciated by most of us. 

13 hours ago, compo said:

What about the fans who kept turning up back in the days when we had some dire attendances they deserve a special mention 

Absolutely. And a number of players who signed to get us through the Divisions. 

A couple of others I thought were Reyna, Hemdani and McCann. 

I also think Ian Ferguson is a bit of an unsung hero despite being highly respected and rated.

Can anyone think of any keepers? Goram, Klos and McGregor were all legends and huge. 

34 minutes ago, compo said:

What about this bloke a good solid reliable full back a mister dependable 

IMG_1324.jpeg.74ee3ddb991ff93c050d156deca8966a.jpeg

Yes if he didnt put an end to Marco Negri being a goal machine. 

But yes a quality player. 

33 minutes ago, compo said:

What about this bloke a good solid reliable full back a mister dependable 

IMG_1324.jpeg.74ee3ddb991ff93c050d156deca8966a.jpeg

Pretty sure he also cost us 4 million of the back of being a member of one of the best club sides of that era. And was on a pretty penny too. Not sure I would call him an 'unsung hero' as such - however I think compared to some of his teammates at the time we didn't notice him as much. 

17 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Pretty sure he also cost us 4 million of the back of being a member of one of the best club sides of that era. And was on a pretty penny too. Not sure I would call him an 'unsung hero' as such - however I think compared to some of his teammates at the time we didn't notice him as much. 

Sign of a great defender you don’t notice him until he’s not in the team anymore