Creag Robertson to leave Rangers

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

Glasgow primary in the late 1970s, you'd the choice of Rangers or Partick Thistle,

For me it was the mid sixties first game I went to was V the Jags at Ibrox with a neighbour Gers won 4-1 and have supported them ever since.

Those visits were with many school friends including a certain Danny McGrain,Travelling on the 19 bus through the Clyde tunnel and walk from Govan Cross or sometimes the subway also the Finnieston ferry.

Magical days and memories of great times.

3 hours ago, JohnMc said:

It still depresses me that so many still yearn for a sugar daddy to make everything good again. I do wonder just how many in our support would accept literally anyone in control of the club if it guaranteed we'd win the league and beat Celtic. 

It's always worth casting your mind back and remembering why you became a Rangers supporter. Was it simply because you expected us to win the league every season? Most seasons? I started 'supporting' Rangers at primary school, mainly because most of my pals, my dad and my big cousins did. It was a north Glasgow primary in the late 1970s, you'd the choice of Rangers or Partick Thistle, no other clubs were available. But the relationship was cemented in the 1980s, when I was old enough to go to games. Here's the thing, in the first half of the 1980s there wasn't a lot of winning going on. We weren't just behind Celtic, we were behind Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and even Hearts for a while. Don't get me wrong there were some good times, a couple of League Cups, a Tennents Sixes too (well it excited me at the time!), but mainly it was a struggle on the pitch. But then going to the football isn't just about the football, is it? It was meeting up with your mates, a common shared interest. It was the ritual of going to the game, lucky omens, lucky clothing, buses or trains, the programme, the pie, I was too young to drink but clearly that was important to many guys too. Then the game itself, the singing, the noise, the smell, the chance to share every emotion, publicly. Football and gigs were probably the only places you could be emotional without feeling stupid or being ridiculed. Winning was always great, a bit of magic from a player a bonus, and a defeat met with anger. 

Our club is going through the most turbulent period in it's long history since the late 1800s. We're not out of it yet, we're hopefully towards the end, but who actually knows. Football is a very different sport to the one I started watching, but the essence of supporting a club, the things that cemented that bond I don't think they've changed, although pricing of tickets and timing of games does make it harder. Our club is still perfectly capable of being stable and solvent as well as competitive, some stability would help that happen, I think.

Rangers need funding from somewhere. The imminent annual accounts will soon prove that. Where that funding comes from is for debate.

The current ownership structure is unsustainable if we’re to progress in the foreseeable future. The major shareholders seem unwilling to sell up or invest. So we have stalemate whilst the club slides further into mediocrity on the park. The return of the pre-Souness days of the 1980s is a distinct possibility. 
Only one of the major shareholders seems to realise this it would appear

51 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Rangers need funding from somewhere. The imminent annual accounts will soon prove that. Where that funding comes from is for debate.

The current ownership structure is unsustainable if we’re to progress in the foreseeable future. The major shareholders seem unwilling to sell up or invest. So we have stalemate whilst the club slides further into mediocrity on the park. The return of the pre-Souness days of the 1980s is a distinct possibility. 
Only one of the major shareholders seems to realise this it would appear

Disagree. 

Leadership, judgement, professionalism, good governance, performance management.  There are lots of things that happen in football clubs that don't cost money.  Or at least, are more about the people we employ and how effective they are.

For the financial year 2023, our wages to turnover ratio in terms of playing budget was 51%, calculated approximately as £42-43m.   Compared to 2021 when we won the league under Gerrard, it was £33.5m.

For me thats a pretty stark evaluation of how effective the likes of Robertson, Bisgrove and Wilson have been, at least since Gerrard left.  

Throwing money at the problem is no longer the solution, its about using the money we have much much better.   Just look at Man United.  They've a billionaire owner and they throw money around like confetti, but you wont find too many of their fans who are happy with recent performances.

3 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Disagree. 

Leadership, judgement, professionalism, good governance, performance management.  There are lots of things that happen in football clubs that don't cost money.  Or at least, are more about the people we employ and how effective they are.

For the financial year 2023, our wages to turnover ratio in terms of playing budget was 51%, calculated approximately as £42-43m.   Compared to 2021 when we won the league under Gerrard, it was £33.5m.

For me thats a pretty stark evaluation of how effective the likes of Robertson, Bisgrove and Wilson have been, at least since Gerrard left.  

Throwing money at the problem is no longer the solution, its about using the money we have much much better.   Just look at Man United.  They've a billionaire owner and they throw money around like confetti, but you wont find too many of their fans who are happy with recent performances.

Everything’s fine is it? Have you watched the product on the park lately? 
We are still in too much debt with a poor sets of accounts on the horizon hence why funding/ investment is needed if we’re to become successful again 

4 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Everything’s fine is it? Have you watched the product on the park lately? 
We are still in too much debt with a poor sets of accounts on the horizon hence why funding/ investment is needed if we’re to become successful again 

Woah there horsey!

Nothing about what I said was to say everything is fine, quite the opposite.

When Bennett took over as Chair, and even prior to that as Vice-Chair, he was waxing lyrical about the player trading model being fundamental to our sustainability financially.   That culminated in this summer's transfer window with millions of potential transfer revenue walking away when their contracts ended.

Thats just one example of ineffective leadership within the club that has cost us significant sums of money unnecessarily.

Edited by stewarty
typo

4 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Woah there horsey!

Nothing about what I said was to say everything is fine, quite the opposite.

When Bennett took over as Chair, and even prior to that as Vice-Chair, he was waxing lyrical about the player trading model being fundamental to our sustainability financially.   That culminated in this summer's transfer window with millions of potential transfer revenue walking away when their contracts ended.

Thats just one example of ineffective leadership within the club that has cost us significant sums of money unnecessarily.

You were just telling us how effective bisgrove, Robertson & Wilson were ? 🧐

Robertson was out of his depth at Rangers. Wilson was signing players the manager never wanted. 

23 minutes ago, stewarty said:

7 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

You were just telling us how effective bisgrove, Robertson & Wilson were ?

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

I'd like the board to be brave and appoint football people outwith Scottish football and their mutuals in these positions.

Said it before and I'll say it again, we need to treat these like they're key signings for the first team.

Cba to go on about it, it is what it is and I'm just curious to see whether the club will sink or swim from here.