[FT] Rangers 1 (Lawrence 14) - 4 Lyon

47 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Obviously a lot of quite young supporters on here, like Compo, who might not realise that this is the third time Lyon have beaten us, fairly easily, at home. For us old timers this is something we've seen before, sometimes a European side turns up at Ibrox and is simply quicker, stronger and more skilful over the 90 minutes. Unless you're about 12 years old then this isn't the worst Rangers team you've seen. 

Last night, as against Celtic and as against Dynamo Kiev, our biggest problem remains our inability to convert our chances. Our team simply doesn't have enough goals in it. Lawrence is contributing now, Dessers will score some, but the rest of our team simply aren't. The goals have dried up from Tav, our centre halves aren't much of a threat from set pieces and our other midfield and attacking players simply don't score often enough. Lyon had goals right across their forward line. 

I don't think there is much we can do about that. We have the squad we have until January at least. Unless someone suddenly emerges that's going to be an ongoing problem. I suspect even if Cerny or Tav had scored early on. and they both should have, we might still have lost, but goals change games, they lift the crowd and force the opposition to change how they play. So who knows. 

This is a Rangers side in transition. Diomande, Bajrami and of course Butland looked decent last night, others found the pace, power and skill of Lyon to much. Anyone who thinks changing manager, again, in the autumn is he answer is very wrong, in my opinion. 

Remember too that Lyon spent €150m in the summer

Individual errors, missing a bonafide sitter, etc don't help but Lyon were simply a far better team.

Their middle to front players made the most of the space we presented them with. That, IMO is down to the manager. How he set up the team and the players he selected.

Clement has a very difficult remit. We don't want to hear excuses but it is going to a gunfight with a wooden sword. But, last night he compounded the situation through his own decisions.

Edited by buster.

20 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I'd like to see more of Nana. 

I might be wrong, but was there not a moment when he was moaning at or encouraging his teammates?

More of that. 

I noticed that too, and he actually got a tackle in on Fofana, which no one else managed the whole game.

Considering the age/inexperience of some of our players I can forgive individual errors, but the miss from Cerny (not his first) was painful. The difference between us with Tav and us with Kasanwirjo was obvious. We should have had a penalty, I almost seen dessers nipples in the replay of the shirt pull in the box. But all that said we were never going to beat this Lyon side if they were up for it, and they were.