[FT] Rangers 1 (Lawrence 14) - 4 Lyon

49 minutes ago, CammyF said:

When Lawrence was subbed at halftime, why was Dowell brought on? Thought the obvious move was to put Bajrami in his favoured 10 position and put McCausland out wide. 

We pad over £4M for a number 10 and he's never played there for us. 

This was my biggest concern of the night to be honest.

14 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

It's not as black and white as that. It is clear that Lyon (who spent over 150 million) are miles ahead of a CL team like Slovan Bratislava for example. 

We nearing 50 pitches level these days in a sad slow decline were not even a force in Scotland now 

1 hour ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

It's not as black and white as that. It is clear that Lyon (who spent over 150 million) are miles ahead of a CL team like Slovan Bratislava for example. 

But so were the likes of Dortmud and the likes and we still managed to beat them and get to EL Final. 

4 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Mine's was 2-2 versus Marseille.  They battered us until about 76 minutes, when we heroically turned it around.  

When McSweggan scored the sort of goal that Archimedes might have scored if he had been a footballer.

2 hours ago, compo said:

One of my first European games was at Highbury against Sparta a play off 

There’s a post match photo of Arsenal ground staff looking bewildered by the huge quantity of empties they had collected.

I wasn’t there but I’d been at the losing Ibrox match where my memory of the away support is a one old man entirely on his own dancing down PRW carrying a decorated candle lantern. He saw John Crossan play as a man inspired for his team. I don’t think Crossan did anything much after that.

3 hours ago, compo said:

One of my first European games was at Highbury against Sparta a play off 

Was that a 5-5 aggregate? Derek Clarke on the Rangers review posted on twitter he picked up a programme from this game at a sports memorabilia game in Northampton the other day.

Edit - actually it was red star Belgrade, but also at Highbury, 4th November 1964.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

Think my 1st European game was a 2-1 win over Porto 1983/84 season.

The next season saw us play Bohemians (lucky to beat them to be honest) then a 3-1 home win against Inter Milan who had Liam Brady and Karl Heinz Rummenigge amongst others. 

We lost 3-0 in the away leg with Ally McCoist missed an absolute sitter. Jock Wallace played outgoing captain and centre half John McClelland as centre forward. 

Much of the above is correct. We surely lack some stability in the financial department, still, IMHO, we'd have fared and will fare better had we adopted tactics according to the games at hand. While many laughed at Warburton's claim "of making Plan A better", we (the managers) essentially never thought about Plan B or C. We simply shoehorned players into these positions, sometimes better, sometimes not. More or less hoping that "quality will change the day". The stubbornness amongst our managers of this last decade was bordering on insanity, IMHO. 

On hindsight, we had one rather well-thought of winger/attacker in Kent, yet no-one was willing to spend even 3 or 5m for him. So his contract ran out. We had one of the most solid defenders in Goldson (remember the 55 season), yet, no-one was willing to pay any reasonable figure for him at the height of his career with us. Even more shocking, all of Europe was swooning over this right-back of ours, scoring 100+ goals and assisting about as many, and no-one was showing up with a reasonable bid. (Maybe they did, but we weren't told ... as unlikely as this is.) Not to speak of Morelos ....

Perhaps we just overestimated the quality that was there? A thousand flies can't be all wrong ...

7 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

we had one rather well-thought of winger/attacker in Kent, yet no-one was willing to spend even 3 or 5m for him. So his contract ran out. We had one of the most solid defenders in Goldson (remember the 55 season), yet, no-one was willing to pay any reasonable figure for him

Are you sure?