[FT] Rangers 1 (Lawrence 14) - 4 Lyon

Large gaps in crowd last night and likely to be the same on Sunday, are the fans starting to vote with their feet? 

£30 for a concession ticket for last night for the wee man, at least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

Sunday will be interesting - 8PM kick-off, no subway, live on TV, work on motorways to and from Ibrox. 

Will the "real" attendance be over 25,000? Cant blame the Hampden factor now......

Edited by CammyF

6 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Cant blame the Hampden factor now......

No but you’ve given four even better reasons for a reduced attendance.

None of these would have stopped me from going to cheer for the team but times are different now, I suppose. In fact, the times haven’t changed that much. My first Euro Cup game at Ibrox I saw a team with Caldow and McColl in it beaten 1-4 by AC. The Italians were better players, as simple as that.

11 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

My first Euro Cup game at Ibrox I saw a team with Caldow and McColl in it beaten 1-4 by AC. The Italians were better players, as simple as that.

Mine's was 2-2 versus Marseille.  They battered us until about 76 minutes, when we heroically turned it around.  

54 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Since Gerrard took over we've consistently gotten to the business end of the EL, so your argument is flawed, we go to quarter finals in Gerrards first season (IIRC).

We got beat by Lyon at home under Gerrard too, my argument is fine, I don't think you understand it. We can still make it to the business end of the EL this season. If we beat FCSB, USG and take something from Nice and Olympiacos we will get through.

In fact the year we made the final, before we reached the EL we were beaten twice by a Malmo side who I'm not sure are much better than this seasons after making a tough job of some eastern European postmen in Alashkert shirts. When we started the Europa under Gerrard we suffered consecutive defeats by Lyon and Sparta Prague. But took 4 points from Brondby before Gio took over and we beat Prague and drew with Lyon in essentially a dead rubber. 

56 minutes ago, CammyF said:

But Dortmund want an outlier, we got to the EL Final beating teams with bigger budgets and better players.

Dortmund was an outlier, if we had played them 10 times we would probably have lost 5 times, drawn a couple and won a couple. Leipzig too, I think they were spooked by the occasion that night at Ibrox while our team rose to it, it was a perfect storm. Red Star Belgrade and Braga no. Even Frankfurt were not a big spender in comparison to many German teams at the time. But like I say that team we had that made it to the Europa league was paid more, had been bought for more and had gelled more than what we have now.

I think there is some revisionism for many supporters around Gerrard and our run to Seville. 

1 hour ago, CammyF said:

However this is now the weakest squad since Pedro's

The getting a hiding from a very expensively assembled Lyon at Ibrox is just how it is. And everyone needs to pull up the big boy trousers and look forward to Sunday and 3 points, and longer term reinforcements in January's transfer window.

42 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

We got beat by Lyon at home under Gerrard too, my argument is fine, I don't think you understand it. We can still make it to the business end of the EL this season. If we beat FCSB, USG and take something from Nice and Olympiacos we will get through.

In fact the year we made the final, before we reached the EL we were beaten twice by a Malmo side who I'm not sure are much better than this seasons after making a tough job of some eastern European postmen in Alashkert shirts. When we started the Europa under Gerrard we suffered consecutive defeats by Lyon and Sparta Prague. But took 4 points from Brondby before Gio took over and we beat Prague and drew with Lyon in essentially a dead rubber. 

Dortmund was an outlier, if we had played them 10 times we would probably have lost 5 times, drawn a couple and won a couple. Leipzig too, I think they were spooked by the occasion that night at Ibrox while our team rose to it, it was a perfect storm. Red Star Belgrade and Braga no. Even Frankfurt were not a big spender in comparison to many German teams at the time. But like I say that team we had that made it to the Europa league was paid more, had been bought for more and had gelled more than what we have now.

I think there is some revisionism for many supporters around Gerrard and our run to Seville. 

The getting a hiding from a very expensively assembled Lyon at Ibrox is just how it is. And everyone needs to pull up the big boy trousers and look forward to Sunday and 3 points, and longer term reinforcements in January's transfer window.

We played Dortmud twice (once away and once at home) and never lost. In fact, we should have won both games (had a goal wrongly chopped off). 

We can still make the business end, but at the moment we look like losing heavily to any half decent team (Man U and Spurs will absolutely leather us). 9 points may not be sufficient to take us through, it may need 10 or a decent goal difference. 

Getting to EL Final was an absolutely fantastic achievement, and is somehow underplayed. We were wonderful that season and beat teams that we had no right beating. 

This squad is rank rotten and results this season show that. Thumped at Parkhead and embarrassed in our own patch by Lyon.

Happy for you and others to continue to try and polish this turd of a squad, results will get worse before they get better. 

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

No but you’ve given four even better reasons for a reduced attendance.

None of these would have stopped me from going to cheer for the team but times are different now, I suppose. In fact, the times haven’t changed that much. My first Euro Cup game at Ibrox I saw a team with Caldow and McColl in it beaten 1-4 by AC. The Italians were better players, as simple as that.

If they team were flying and playing well, those other "reasons" wouldn't come into play.

Fans are now not going to games (as last night showed), that is never a good sign and will continue if rests and performances don't improve.

When Lawrence was subbed at halftime, why was Dowell brought on? Thought the obvious move was to put Bajrami in his favoured 10 position and put McCausland out wide. 

We pad over £4M for a number 10 and he's never played there for us. 

17 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Get rid off him & replace him with whom?

17 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'd just like to reiterate how much I can't stand Cyriel Dessers. A diving fanny and a person who does nothing but make excuses for his poor play.  His demeanour, constantly complaining to referees and opposition players (none of whom are listening) whilst play goes on, is utterly pathetic and not becoming of a professional sportsman.

He's useless when it counts.

We really need to get rid of him.  

It was 33 minutes before Dessers passed to a team mate.Not getting shot of him is a major mistake.

18 hours ago, CammyF said:

We said the same when we were embarrassed in the Champioms League. 

This (EL) is meant to be our level and we've excelled recently, bow it looks we are also out our depth at this level. 

It's not as black and white as that. It is clear that Lyon (who spent over 150 million) are miles ahead of a CL team like Slovan Bratislava for example.