[FT] Rangers 1 (Lawrence 14) - 4 Lyon

10 hours ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Our level is against teams with similar financial clout playing in similar leagues regardless of what European competition they are in.

There are teams in the CL we could take. 

What like Dortmund? We've matched and beaten teams of Lyons quality and financial clout, our current squad is the worst its been since Pedro. 

Or are we happy our level struggling to win the SPL? 

Butland speaking out against the manager seems like the beginning of the end. 

Edited by CammyF

10 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

No none are an upgrade.

We now only seem to sign out-of-contract players, misfit loans & anyone not costing an excessive transfer fee.

The result was there for all to see tonight 

Ant I'll only get worse.

12 minutes ago, CammyF said:

I think it was more of a general moan about performances of late (aimed as much at his teammates as the manager).

10 minutes ago, CammyF said:

What like Dortmund? We've matched and beaten teams of Lyons quality and financial clout, our current squad is the worst its been since Pedro. 

Or are we happy our level struggling to win the SPL? 

Like the Dortmund the same season we got beat 3-1 by a weaker Lyon side than this at Ibrox? Then yeah. Outliers can happen. 

There is a massive difference between that Rangers side and this one. That one had been together for a number of years, had won 55 and was at the peak of its powers. This squad is still very much in a rebuild and will have its best days ahead of it when reinforcements come in.

What did Butland say about the manager?

9 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Obviously a lot of quite young supporters on here, like Compo, who might not realise that this is the third time Lyon have beaten us, fairly easily, at home. For us old timers this is something we've seen before, sometimes a European side turns up at Ibrox and is simply quicker, stronger and more skilful over the 90 minutes. Unless you're about 12 years old then this isn't the worst Rangers team you've seen. 

Last night, as against Celtic and as against Dynamo Kiev, our biggest problem remains our inability to convert our chances. Our team simply doesn't have enough goals in it. Lawrence is contributing now, Dessers will score some, but the rest of our team simply aren't. The goals have dried up from Tav, our centre halves aren't much of a threat from set pieces and our other midfield and attacking players simply don't score often enough. Lyon had goals right across their forward line. 

I don't think there is much we can do about that. We have the squad we have until January at least. Unless someone suddenly emerges that's going to be an ongoing problem. I suspect even if Cerny or Tav had scored early on. and they both should have, we might still have lost, but goals change games, they lift the crowd and force the opposition to change how they play. So who knows. 

This is a Rangers side in transition. Diomande, Bajrami and of course Butland looked decent last night, others found the pace, power and skill of Lyon to much. Anyone who thinks changing manager, again, in the autumn is he answer is very wrong, in my opinion. 

Compo - young supporter?? 

However I do agree with the rest of your post and for me the solution is to change the formation to a 3-5-2 especially in domestic games. With 3 centre halfs it removes Tavernier's defensive duties slightly and becoming less reliant. Jefte is clearly good enough at both LB and LW so going up and down would be perfect for him. You dont change the midfield combo of Diomande and Barron plus having a creative attacker in front of them. But you put someone else along side Dessers to give him more help and more space for the no.10 - For me the chances should increase and also fall to other players. This was plainly obvious against Hibs and we relied on a Lawrence worldly and a Penalty save to get 3 points. 

18 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

our centre halves aren't much of a threat from set pieces and our other midfield and attacking players simply don't score often enough.

Yes, I think one problem we have in general is that our squad is very small and slight. And its my main gripe with our recruitment at the moment.

If you look across the city at the 2 biggest signings, both are big lads.