[FT] Rangers 1 (Lawrence 14) - 4 Lyon

Every single player in that 2007 team (maybe apart from jig) would walk into our current team with absolutely no hesitation. And you've got to remember most of these players retired some years ago.

True story, I was there that night and we were sitting in a bar just off the main square when some locals came up and asked us for a score prediction. Me and my mate both played it safe saying we would love a draw but appreciate what a top side Lyon are, my other mate replies with a straight face 3-0 to the Rangers no problem, at which point they locals fell about laughing and we took the beer off him. When the third went in he turned and said, told you, never in doubt!! 

One of the best smash n grab victories ever, with a Walter tactical masterclass, a huge effort from the players and a lot of luck.

No idea what to expect from Lyon tonight, but hope we can raise our game and take something out of it. A win would be sensational, a draw would probably be a good point and keeps us in the top half of the table.

8 minutes ago, buster. said:

That is a very solid and competent starting XI from 17 years ago. Light years ahead of what we currently have.

Aye I don't disagree.

Although that result v Lyon was the exception and not the rule pre Manchester.

Our lads aren't a patch on that team granted but one thing they have been is consistent in Europe. If they had a couple of titles to go with the European form it would be a fairer comparison imo.

Hypotheticals though obviously.

Edited by yuddie

Like this group is the first to win in Spain and in Sweden and have consistently held their own or bettered the top Portuguese sides - let's not pretend that they're scrubs on the European stage.

I'll get slaughtered for saying it but if I'm choosing any modern Rangers side to get a result in Europe it's any of the ones that have played from Gerrard to now.

16 minutes ago, yuddie said:

Aye I don't disagree.

Although that result v Lyon was the exception and not the rule pre Manchester.

Our lads aren't a patch on that team granted but one thing they have been is consistent in Europe. If they had a couple of titles to go with the European form it would be a fairer comparison imo.

Hypotheticals though obviously.

The main difference is that team was more than competitive, domestically. 

• Frankie changed the title to [Pre-match] Rangers v Lyon