Is it time for a fresh approach?

The general consensus from Sundays shambles seems to be that most fans whilst utterly disappointed, are in no way surprised. We've seen this film before with the same ending too many times. With that in mind, is it to have a drastic rethink about how we approach these games?

As much as a high press is laudable, it appears to me to play right into Celtics hands. How many times have we seen a combination of 2 simple passes and we're cut open like a knife through soft butter? I get that PC wants to play a certain formation but for me it's horses for courses.

What if we set ourselves out to be hard to beat instead of trying to go toe to toe? What if we adopted a versatile 3-5-2 with the potential to easily convert to 5-3-2 when defending? It still could provide width with our full backs (not Tav) and makes us compact and stuffier to break down. God knows we need to try something new. 

----------Butland---------

-----------Souttar---------

---Neraysho----Propper--

Sterling‐--------------Jefte

-----Barron--Diamonde---

-----‐-----Bajrami---------

-----Dessers----Danilo----

Pretty much every modern football manager has a set formation or set-up and rarely deviates from it.  

It's all a bit boring and predictable but they seem unwilling to make alterations, even if that means certain defeat or losing their job.  Warburton, GvB, Beale and now Clement are all like that.  

The definition of insanity...

Formations are irrelevant. The game is fluid. 

We've played a 4 in build-up, we've played a 3 in build-up. We've played with a single 10, we've played with two 8s. We've played wingers wide, we've played them as inside forwards. Our fullbacks have overlapped and inverted. 

Even if you just mean against them, we've also tried different things. The 4-4-2 mid block in the SC final was probably the best. But, that's just in defence. 

We just don't have the quality to take our chances or cut out defensive mistakes. 

We can only let PC cook and give the players the time to get used to the automatisms. 

17 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Pretty much every modern football manager has a set formation or set-up and rarely deviates from it.  

It's all a bit boring and predictable but they seem unwilling to make alterations, even if that means certain defeat or losing their job.  Warburton, GvB, Beale and now Clement are all like that.  

The definition of insanity...

That's not true. 

Our recent managers have been one-trick ponies, though. 

I do believe Clement is more flexible. That doesn't mean he'll be successful, though. 

18 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Formations are irrelevant. The game is fluid. 

We've played a 4 in build-up, we've played a 3 in build-up. We've played with a single 10, we've played with two 8s. We've played wingers wide, we've played them as inside forwards. Our fullbacks have overlapped and inverted. 

Even if you just mean against them, we've also tried different things. The 4-4-2 mid block in the SC final was probably the best. But, that's just in defence. 

We just don't have the quality to take our chances or cut out defensive mistakes. 

We can only let PC cook and give the players the time to get used to the automatisms. 

The cup final is a good example. IMO we should have won and as far as I can remember we nullified most of their biggest threats (O'Reilly, Kyogo, Maeda).

A fresh approach as in winning games? Our current manager has a win rate of under 50% over than last 22 games (9 wins). Even taking this season in isolation, we have 3 wins from 7 games played.

Clement appears to be a manager who doesn't play a settled 11 players, he likes to rotate.

His formation leads us to be very narrow so we are exposed down both flanks (see Sunday as the latest example), our midfield are constantly over-ran and other than Dessers, we have no players who'll score double figures.

I'd argue his system isn't flexible, it just doesn't work and looks random and scatter-gun. In fact, for most games, it's hard to work out what the system is.

We now have the international break to lick or wounds and Clement and his team have time with the new players to integrate them into the team / system.

They'll have to hit the ground running as our schedule included a domestic cup tie, 4 potentially tricky away games (Dundee Utd, Killie, Aberdeen and Dundee) and the commencement of the EL. 

Basically, we need an approach rather than a fresh approach. 

Poor pre-season ,and new players coming in ,they need more time to gel together.

Pains me to say it ,but celtic played as a team, whereas we were just a bunch of strangers still testing the water with each other.

Watching yesterday made me wonder if Clement has has actually looked at previous games against them ,because it didn't look like it to me.

17 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

We need to reconsider playing 2 wide players if they’re not contributing. Too often this seems to be the case 

Did you know our front three have contributed the same number of goals and assists as their front three? 

I found that interesting when I saw it.