[FT] Rangers 0 - 2 Dynamo Kyiv

15 hours ago, CammyF said:

Remember this game like it was yesterday. Copland Rear and one of the best atmospheres I've witnessed. 

... he did say Russians, didn't he?! 😱

As it happens, I think I still have a Morning Star (you know, behind the Iron Curtain there was not that much Western printed papers about) as well as some Soviet paper reporting on this match.

Edited by der Berliner

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

... he did say Russians, didn't he?! 😱

As it happens, I think I still have a Morning Star (you know, behind the Iron Curtain there was not that much Western printed papers about) as well as some Soviet paper reporting on this match.

At that time, for many people in the 'west', the Soviet Union and Russia were inter-changeable terms. The idea of Ukraine, Kazakstan or Georgia etc being separate countries wasn't a concept many here were aware of. I'd read that Stalin was a Georgian, but I thought that was a bit like being Cornish or from Yorkshire, I'd no idea it was a different country with its own culture and language. 

We played Dynamo Kiev a couple of years after this game in a friendly. The Soviet Union was breaking up at this point and Rangers gifted them new yellow and blue strips, the colours of Ukraine, as everyone knows now. The history of Dynamo Kiev is fascinating. What their players went through in WW2, to becoming one of the most important institutions in the Soviet Union and used as a conduit for spies, to Lobanovskyi's coaching methods to being a symbol of Ukrainian independence. 

I think of Dynamo Kiev in a similar way I do Eintracht Frankfurt, St Etienne and Moscow Dynamo, clubs with important historical links to our history.

5 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

think of Dynamo Kiev in a similar way I do Eintracht Frankfurt, St Etienne and Moscow Dynamo, clubs with important historical links to our history.

Kiev the only club to avoid defeat by Rangers in the famous tour of “Russia”. Locomotiv Moscow and Dynamo Tblisi (Georgia) were defeated by the Famous before the Ukrainians salvaged some Soviet pride.