[FT] Rangers 2 (Dessers 13'; Cerny 24') - 1 Motherwell

16 hours ago, Whosthedado said:

The game itself was good first 60 minutes,

How did Pröpper play? He hasn’t been trashed so I assume he wasn’t bad.

He wasn’t the only one at fault for his og but from the telly it looked avoidable by him. You can’t make a judgement from the telly, though.

Several players played a part in the OG.  Tav didn't get over to their winger fast enough and Souttar and Propper weren't in line with each other when the cross came in, leading to the OG.

He was our best defender though.  Likes a tackle, reads the game well and is a good passer. 

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Several players played a part in the OG.  Tav didn't get over to their winger fast enough and Souttar and Propper weren't in line with each other when the cross came in, leading to the OG.

He was our best defender though.  Likes a tackle, reads the game well and is a good passer. 

Rewind a bit further, the ball is kicked out by Motherwell keeper to Motherwell player on half-way line who was completely unmarked. We were then exposed down the right flank. A real comedy of errors. 

22 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Of course it doesn't: it's only showing chances created. 

Some snippets from FF ....

Been noticing this for weeks now, Attacking player out wide Tav just looking at him defending from the edge of the 18 yard box, Time and time again ball goes to attacker and Tav has 20 yards to make up, Then player passes him and he gives up like for today's own goal, Then starts blaming everyone else, He has been way off it last 6 months just doesn't look interested.

For weeks? Been the same for years, literally.

late in the second half Mcausland was back in the box covering for him when he hadn't even got back to the halfway line. He thinks he has licence to go anywhere up the pitch rather than do any defensive duties, only useful for penalties nowadays, i would put Cerny on free kicks

Just watched it back and still can't understand why he is not closer to him he was marking no one where he was positioned And was well aware the ball was going to the wide man, yes it was someone else's man but he should be bursting a gut to stop him

Ambles about like he doesn't give a %^*&. A proper full back would have got out quickly to close down the cross. The excuses that are continually put forward for him are unreal.
I know folks want Sterling in midfield but as soon as he is fully fit he has to go into the RB position.
If we go to the pigsty with him at RB we are in deep trouble

The biggest problem for their goal was their player being able to bring down a hoof up the park in the middle of our half and turn, with nobody within 10 yards of him. Everything else afterwards was caused by that.

Some see mostly sunshine with Tav, others stare at the abyss. The truth is in the middle, but as always, a defender's job is to defend. Maybe Tav has got licence to roam about, but even in these last few games, he's popped up in the middle time and again, sometimes even ahead of the winger or next to the shadow striker. Which as such generally not that bad (if we are 2 goals up), but he hardly ever scores from there, it should be a real attacker in there, not him ... and time and again, once our winger loses the ball, Tav's defensive area is an open field for half-decent attacker to explore via a simple ball over the top. And the latter is exactly what we have seen time and again. Ridvan likes his forays too, but he's got the legs to chase backwards.

IMHO, the best way to exploit attacking "wingbacks", not least in our environment, would be a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2, where you can have these same wingbacks, but all defensive duties fall on the back three and one DM max.

In case we use Sterling - Souttar - Pröpper this way, either may step out to cover a wing-slot, or grab the ball and go for a walk, with a wing-back slotting in the vacant defensive position.

5 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Some snippets from FF ....

Been noticing this for weeks now, Attacking player out wide Tav just looking at him defending from the edge of the 18 yard box, Time and time again ball goes to attacker and Tav has 20 yards to make up, Then player passes him and he gives up like for today's own goal, Then starts blaming everyone else, He has been way off it last 6 months just doesn't look interested.

For weeks? Been the same for years, literally.

late in the second half Mcausland was back in the box covering for him when he hadn't even got back to the halfway line. He thinks he has licence to go anywhere up the pitch rather than do any defensive duties, only useful for penalties nowadays, i would put Cerny on free kicks

Just watched it back and still can't understand why he is not closer to him he was marking no one where he was positioned And was well aware the ball was going to the wide man, yes it was someone else's man but he should be bursting a gut to stop him

Ambles about like he doesn't give a %^*&. A proper full back would have got out quickly to close down the cross. The excuses that are continually put forward for him are unreal.
I know folks want Sterling in midfield but as soon as he is fully fit he has to go into the RB position.
If we go to the pigsty with him at RB we are in deep trouble

The biggest problem for their goal was their player being able to bring down a hoof up the park in the middle of our half and turn, with nobody within 10 yards of him. Everything else afterwards was caused by that.

Some see mostly sunshine with Tav, others stare at the abyss. The truth is in the middle, but as always, a defender's job is to defend. Maybe Tav has got licence to roam about, but even in these last few games, he's popped up in the middle time and again, sometimes even ahead of the winger or next to the shadow striker. Which as such generally not that bad (if we are 2 goals up), but he hardly ever scores from there, it should be a real attacker in there, not him ... and time and again, once our winger loses the ball, Tav's defensive area is an open field for half-decent attacker to explore via a simple ball over the top. And the latter is exactly what we have seen time and again. Ridvan likes his forays too, but he's got the legs to chase backwards.

IMHO, the best way to exploit attacking "wingbacks", not least in our environment, would be a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2, where you can have these same wingbacks, but all defensive duties fall on the back three and one DM max.

In case we use Sterling - Souttar - Pröpper this way, either may step out to cover a wing-slot, or grab the ball and go for a walk, with a wing-back slotting in the vacant defensive position.

I just posted a stat which says Tavernier created the most chances against Motherwell. It's just a fact

That doesn't mean I think he has been a good performer - in fact, I've been quite critical of him this season. 

We have actually been using a situational back three and one DM in possession. That's still not helped much. IMO, the issue is the poor pressing - and Tavernier's legs going. 

40 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I just posted a stat which says Tavernier created the most chances against Motherwell. It's just a fact

That doesn't mean I think he has been a good performer - in fact, I've been quite critical of him this season. 

We have actually been using a situational back three and one DM in possession. That's still not helped much. IMO, the issue is the poor pressing - and Tavernier's legs going. 

A good observation I to noticed young McCausland doing his job 

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

IMO, the issue is the poor pressing - and Tavernier's legs going. 

We keep starting matches with Lawrence and Wright.  Attack is the best form of defence, so the problems with the press start up front, in my opinion.  But Tav has definitely lost a yard of pace.

5 hours ago, Scott7 said:

He wasn’t the only one at fault for his og but from the telly it looked avoidable by him. You can’t make a judgement from the telly, though.

I thought he played a propper half decent game ! Apart from the obvious he wasn’t afraid to get in amongst it and he nearly set up a peach of an Assist if someone was on the edge of the box apart from John Souttar 

6 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Thought he was good. Bar the obvious misjudgement, which was just unfortunate. He won a lot of aerial battles