I personally think he gets a bit OTT criticism! yet agree with the reason he gets that! if that makes sense?. I love his work rate, he never gives up so I'm hoping everything clicks for him this season as I'm sure all Rangers fans do.

38 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Wonder what happens if he has a good august, rattles in a good few goals & we get a bid for him just before the window shuts end of month.

It'll depend on how long we have to get a replacement. Let's not kid ourselves going with only Danilo and Igamane is far worse than going with Dessers, Danilo and Igamane. 

I think the long and short of it is he missed big chances in OF games that cost us points. Also in Europe to a lesser extent (I’m not forgetting the stunner in Seville as some balance). As a Rangers striker you must take the easier chances in OF games or you are toast. 

2 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I think the long and short of it is he missed big chances in OF games that cost us points. Also in Europe to a lesser extent (I’m not forgetting the stunner in Seville as some balance). As a Rangers striker you must take the easier chances in OF games or you are toast. 

He did miss chances last season but you have to ask whether every other striker would have been in a similar position to miss the chance. 

On 09/08/2024 at 18:14, CammyF said:

It'll depend on how long we have to get a replacement. Let's not kid ourselves going with only Danilo and Igamane is far worse than going with Dessers, Danilo and Igamane. 

I have reservations about Danilo. 

14 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

He did miss chances last season but you have to ask whether every other striker would have been in a similar position to miss the chance. 

Maybe so, but it's a tough environment to play in, and you simply cannot afford to miss several easy chances against your biggest rivals and expect your fans to be fully onside with your capabilities. Heroes are made in the big games of those who score winners. Take Maurice Edu, Katic, big Ugo to name just 3 that came to mind quickly. Cult heroes despite not always featuring or being supremely talented, simply because they scored goals in OF games that won us (or got us an important draw) the game. Dessers missed chances have been in close games that we could have won, and if he had scored we may well have won, that in turn may have won us the treble last season. Had he done so, there would be no debate about him, he would be adored by the fans.

22 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Maybe so, but it's a tough environment to play in, and you simply cannot afford to miss several easy chances against your biggest rivals and expect your fans to be fully onside with your capabilities. Heroes are made in the big games of those who score winners. Take Maurice Edu, Katic, big Ugo to name just 3 that came to mind quickly. Cult heroes despite not always featuring or being supremely talented, simply because they scored goals in OF games that won us (or got us an important draw) the game. Dessers missed chances have been in close games that we could have won, and if he had scored we may well have won, that in turn may have won us the treble last season. Had he done so, there would be no debate about him, he would be adored by the fans.

Some of the stat gurus will be able to confirm but the vast majority of his goals have been "important" goals like 1st goals, equalisers and winners.

He is continuing that this season; equaliser on Tuesday and 1st goal in Saturday.  

His finishing aside it was his overall play that frustrated me most last season. He didn't hold the ball up well, he was slow in a sprint and didn't win his fair share of headers. This season, albeit it's early, I think his overall game has improved. With hindsight I also think the fact that, Tav aside, no one else was scoring regularly last season meant more focus fell on Desssers. If our other attacking players and midfielders had chipped in with more goals Desser's might have been appreciated more.