13 minutes ago, compo said:

And to add injury to insult our masters across the city appear to be having a great pre season and we haven’t yet got a defence in place to halt them , it could be a long hard season ahead with little in the way of highs but plenty of lows .

Comparing ourselves to Celtic is obviously the main metric but it really is all about our own shortcomings at the moment. We can't be side-tracked by what they do or don't do.

Celtic weren't substantially better than us last season and so far all they've done is replace their keeper. At best they've stood still, so far. Have we regressed a bit, or stood still also? Losing Lundstram and Barasic weakens the squad, time will tell if Baron and Jefte are adequate replacements. Sima is the biggest loss to our squad and he's not been replaced. It would be astonishing if we don't sign at least a couple of forward players before the window closes. I expect we'll strengthen elsewhere too as other players leave. 

It's frustrating we don't have more players in so they can get to know their team mates and Clement's demands, but it's still only July. You have to assume things are going on, talks are taking place. There tends to be a domino effect, someone in the chain needs to sell or buy and that triggers a raft of moves. 

I think we will need to get used to Rangers playing younger home grown players this season too. Not first choice, but when injuries and suspensions happen I think Clement will have to play the youth. In my experience Rangers supporters are all for this until it actually happens, we're not the most patient support. 

Sometimes it is - IMHO - also necessary to take a step back and have a look at where we have been only a few years ago, and where we are now. Let's strife for the better, as always, but keep also rooted firmly in reality.

Now the chairman's interview is available, I thought it was only fair I circled back to this article.

First and foremost, the chairman isn't a great public speaker and I'm sure he'd concede that. The interview was also too long, too rambling and too generic in nature. However, there was some interest within it worth noting.

- He suggested the end of September to be back at Ibrox. That's far from ideal but it is what it is. Let's hope that doesn't slide.

- He discussed club finances and I think he was clear enough that we're struggling in that regard. As such, fans must acknowledge that context in terms of transfers and other factors.

- With that in mind, it's important to note our existing obligations of over £11m excluding loan deals (so Cortes and Cerny). That's a big issue if the Lammers and Goldson deals haven't helped balance that number. It shows how vital is it to move people on at the right time and that must be done with assets going forward. It also shows how we can't just go and spend £5m on Player A or B on a whim. We have to be creative in our approach (see Diomande and Cortes for examples of this).

- Bennett also talked about avoiding 'rinsing and repeating' every October if results don't go our way. As such, the clear inference is that we are 'all in' on Clement's rebuild and, so far at least (and taking the above into account) this rebuild will not happen in this window alone. Of course there should be no concession of anything in July but I think patience and realism amongst the fans is going to be needed in large amounts.

All things considered, I don't think the interview was a good one. However, there was enough information within it to show the club is not in a good place. Where Bennett arguably fell down was his failure to acknowledge the existing board's part in the status quo. They've been responsible for much of the decision-making that has resulted in our current weak position and they're responsible for negotiating us out of that - either with the correct staff appointments (on and off the park) and investment to help the improve the disappointing financials he noted.

I don't doubt the chairman's credentials as a fan. I also thank him for his efforts and financial backing which have been essential in recent seasons. I don't think that backing can be under-estimated. However, that doesn't mean he (or anyone else) is the right man for running the club. In that sense, perhaps substantial change in terms of a new chairman right now isn't the best idea but delivering a competent and experienced new CEO (and Bennett's body language was evasive when questioned about that) is key for the continuity and well-being of the club. 

In closing, I also don't doubt people are working hard to find improvement. However, that's the minimum I'd expect and it still doesn't mean these people (again on and off the park) are the right ones. As such, when the chairman talks about difficult financials and challenges, that's because of under-performance throughout the club in recent years during his watch. This was his chance to highlight that and promise change - both at board level and throughout other areas of the club. I remain unconvinced that accountability was either realised or going to be addressed. 

Our direction of travel remains far from clear.

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

I was thinking Cortes would be included in that £11.5m figure, because it is an obligation to buy, IIRC.

It is a loan deal though.

This is Rangers we stumble from one crisis to another these days and as Gordon Brown used to tell us with Prudence we struggle through it the only solution would be the sale of the club but who buys a failing business.

So the only answer is go out and win the blinking league.

Edited by compo

No one is replacing the board.  They need to hire more competent and experienced individuals to run things better.  

I've seen loads of people continually blaming the board for not backing Gerrard after 55 but Gerrard didn't want to sell anyone, so that was as much his fault as it was theirs.  

Two main areas of focus should be selling players at their peak and reducing the wage bill.  

Edited by Gonzo79