8 minutes ago, Frankie said:

With just ten days until Rangers kick off their competitive season at Tynecastle next weekend, it's fair to say it's been less than a positive summer for our supporters with two main lowlights dominating the discussion in recent weeks.

For many, the main point of contention will be the issues related to stadium improvements at Ibrox. Work to construct an additional cantilever section of seating similar to that of the Govan Stand in 2006 was brought to an abrupt halt apparently due to a shortage of steel from Asia - though there are suggestions that's not the only reason. This means with a fortnight left until our first 'home' game of 2024/25, we know that match will be played at Hampden but that’s it. From average Joes in the Copland to high profile commercial club partners, none of us know our seat or the logistics associated with getting there. Worse, we’ve no idea how long this will be for. To call this a shambles is an understatement.

Now, the intentions associated with the works are good ones. From providing better facilities for our disabled fans, to ensuring we’re fulfilling UEFA rules for European matches, such improvements are often non-negotiable and necessary. However, with a tight schedule for the project any issue was always going to be problematic and some things can happen which are unforeseen, no matter how well you plan. However, to not account for such simple eventualities as material supply really is embarrassing for all associated with the works. Material orders should have been made with back-ups in mind and Rangers could easily have ensured they had alternative stadium agreements already in place in the event there were delays. It seems this didn’t happen and someone – not just the individual apparently fired – should be clear and up front why the process was so flawed.  Either way, our summer wasn’t off to a good start when initial rumours turned to formal delay announcements last month.

No matter, even with the red face we all have to complement our new Rangers strips (the emails asking us to buy these weren’t delayed), surely the more important stuff of improving the squad would take our minds off having to sit at Hampden instead of Ibrox? An unsuccessful season last term – albeit with a reasonable European run and winning the League Cup despite having to change our manager early doors – and a raft of players coming to the end of their contract meant wholesale amendments to the squad were required. Again, this was no easy task. With seven players either leaving on a free or their loan deals ending, that was the minimum number of additions needed over the summer.

To that end, we have seen eight players come in but that doesn’t tell the whole story. Two of these were players returning from loan: Sam Lammers and Ianis Hagi whose Rangers careers appear to be all but over with neither likely to feature for the first team again. Similarly, Oscar Cortes was already here on loan last season. That leaves five new players (Kelly, Jefte, Nsiala, Barron and Igamane), none of whom could be considered first picks, to supplement a bloated squad that was always going to need further urgent, quality upgrades. In fact, Jack Butland aside, it’s difficult to make the case for any player as being essential for the future and even the big Englishman might be dispensable to help pay for reinforcements.

Indeed, a variety of players have been linked with moves away. From captain James Tavernier (who hasn’t featured in any pre-season game so far) to his declining deputy Connor Goldson and mercurial midfielder Todd Cantwell, suggestions of their exit appear strong with the hope reasonable compensation will be agreed for their services, allowing us to replace them with better. Yet, at the time of writing, none and have actually moved on and no-one else has arrived. Add in the failure to find buyers for more fringe players such as Davies, Dowell, Matondo, Wright and Lawrence – all who have been shown to be unreliable in terms of fitness and/or quality – then fans are rightly confused ahead of our two final friendlies this week and a closing deadline for the vital CL qualifier in early August.

All this means criticism of the club has been quickly building in recent weeks as fans start to lose patience. Stadium problems are one thing but a demonstrable lack of direction and leadership is quite another. The club have released empty emails on the Hampden move but when it comes to matters on the pitch, our communication is even worse. We’ve seen conflicting statements to (and by) the manager about strengthening the team and its uncertain just how long Phillipe Clement will put up with what appears to be a lack of support for his ambitions. What was the Belgian told last year before he took the job? What has changed since? Why are squad changes taking so long? Who is responsible for the day-to-day decision-making at the club and is this delaying all these essential processes? Why has this unacceptable situation been allowed to develop?

Only one person can answer these questions and that’s the chairman/temporary CEO John Bennett. Conspicuous by his absence in terms of fan communication, the scrutiny and pressure upon him is now intense. Ultimately, the buck stops with him and all the negative issues of recent years are arguably his responsibility. It doesn’t matter if it’s the farce of Old Firm ‘friendlies’ abroad or the more critical lack of joined up thinking when it comes to managers, sporting directors and the football department, it’s very difficult not to think Bennett and his fellow board members are out of their depth.

The chairman has promised a more in-depth statement by the end of this month. However, I think we must make it abundantly clear before this happens, his interview cannot consist of generic soundbites, excuses and moonbeams but be accompanied with clear actions. What we need to see is players moved out now with better replacements brought in immediately. Equally, we need a new Chief Executive with genuine experience and board members with gravitas that can work from Ibrox on a day-to-day basis; not part-time from afar. And, if this can’t happen quickly enough, then be honest, be transparent and be clear too. Is this season to be one of longer-term transition? Should our expectations be more cautious as a result? Will the appointment of suitably qualified directors take more time? When will we return to Ibrox? Is the manager on board with all the above?

In conclusion, I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say John Bennett is in the last chance saloon with many Rangers fans. Yes, his financial support of the club has been essential in recent years and that backing cannot be under-estimated. Likewise, we just can’t snap our fingers or stamp our feet and have a range of rich benefactors ready to invest into or buy the club. But neither can that mean poor performance is excused and there is too much evidence of serious mistakes across the club in recent seasons that tell us leadership is lacking.

The clock is ticking then: not just for the completion of the Copland Road and not just for changes to the squad but for changes to the very fabric of how the club is run for this season and beyond. With the club’s competitive foundation of success in increasingly clear question, we cannot be found wanting.

100% spot on Frankie - brilliant article.

28 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Indeed, a variety of players have been linked with moves away. From captain James Tavernier (who hasn’t featured in any pre-season game so far) to his declining deputy Connor Goldson and mercurial midfielder Todd Cantwell, suggestions of their exit appear strong with the hope reasonable compensation will be agreed for their services, allowing us to replace them with better.

This is a cart before horse technique that will probably bite us in the ass. However, ya gots to do what ya gots to do. 

29 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Equally, we need a new Chief Executive with genuine experience and board members with gravitas that can work from Ibrox on a day-to-day basis; not part-time from afar. And, if this can’t happen quickly enough,

Definitely a 'Rangers Charity' vibe from the strategic level. 

It doesn't appear to be a vocation as much as a lineal duty of title. 

I get it, in 2012, not 2024.

It's like these cats are rollin in to earn some blue blood 'scout badge'.

"I heard you drew short straw at the meeting Bennett...good luck with that rabble...

Sarcastic Very Funny GIF

I can't remember a pre-season being this low key.  Obviously, there's still time for quite a lot to happen but I'm dreading seeing the same old faces line up against Hearts.  

Downhearted is the word to describe it.  

38 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I can't remember a pre-season being this low key.  Obviously, there's still time for quite a lot to happen but I'm dreading seeing the same old faces line up against Hearts.  

Worst preseason coverage I can remember on RangersTV as well

57 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I've never felt so low for preseason!!. Dreading the season ahead!.

3 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Difficult to see how any of the signings improve us in any way. 

I've been impressed with Barron at Aberdeen and so far at us. Clearly he's still very raw but he's a good addition to the squad.

And to add injury to insult our masters across the city appear to be having a great pre season and we haven’t yet got a defence in place to halt them , it could be a long hard season ahead with little in the way of highs but plenty of lows .

6 minutes ago, compo said:

And to add injury to insult our masters across the city appear to be having a great pre season and we haven’t yet got a defence in place to halt them , it could be a long hard season ahead with little in the way of highs but plenty of lows .

We had a poor pre season last year and failed to win games against Newcastle, Hoffenhein and Olympiakos.

This year we’ve so far failed to win against Liege, Ajax and Man utd 

Whereas I don’t think preseason games results mean a lot I do think a bad pre season may be an indicator of what’s to come unless action is taken