There isn't much on at the moment so i was thinking about 67 Scotland had two teams in the European cup and cup winners cup finals suppose you had to take the twentytwo players and pick one team who'd you pick 

2 hours ago, compo said:

There isn't much on at the moment so i was thinking about 67 Scotland had two teams in the European cup and cup winners cup finals suppose you had to take the twentytwo players and pick one team who'd you pick 

Good question. Trouble is, only about four of us can answer it, the two others being @alexscottislegend and @MacK1950.

Us:

Martin,

Johansen, McKinnon, Greig, Provan,

Jardine, Dave Smith,

Henderson, Alex Smith, Hynd, Johnston.

Them:

Simpson,

Craig, McNeil, Clark, Gemmell,

Murdoch, Auld,

Johnstone, Chalmers, Wallace, Lennox.

The select, position for position.

Simpson,

Johansen, McKinnon, Greig, Gemmell,

Jardine, D Smith,

Henderson, Wallace, Chalmers, Lennox.

Fiddling around a bit, drop Johansen, put Jardine in his place and switch Greig and Dave Smith.

Simpson,

Jardine, McKinnon, D Smith, Gemmell,

Murdoch, Greig,

I had to look up a celtic page to refresh my memory of their formation. The first thing I learned is that the players went to Mass in the morning.

Why didn’t we think of that?

I doubt that their full eleven turned up at the cathedral.

3 minutes ago, compo said:

Jinky Wallace Johnston 

On that season’s form, I think you’re right. I blame Henderson’s bunion and moustache.

Bertie Auld midfield instead of John Greig? Effective player, Auld but nowhere near the greatest.

McNeill for Clark is fine - double centre half instead of centre half and sweeper. The more I think about a McKinnon/McNeill partnership, the more I like it.

On 21/06/2024 at 14:31, Scott7 said:

Good question. Trouble is, only about four of us can answer it, the two others being @alexscottislegend and @MacK1950.

Us:

Martin,

Johansen, McKinnon, Greig, Provan,

Jardine, Dave Smith,

Henderson, Alex Smith, Hynd, Johnston.

Them:

Simpson,

Craig, McNeil, Clark, Gemmell,

Murdoch, Auld,

Johnstone, Chalmers, Wallace, Lennox.

The select, position for position.

Simpson,

Johansen, McKinnon, Greig, Gemmell,

Jardine, D Smith,

Fiddling around a bit, drop Johansen, put Jardine in his place and switch Greig and Dave Smith.

Simpson,

Jardine, McKinnon, D Smith, Gemmell,

Murdoch, Greig,

Murdoch and Grieg too alike for me in the centre; better balance with Auld. Maybe Greig in Smith's position? Also fancy having to choose between Henderson and Jinky.

14 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Bertie Auld midfield instead of John Greig? Effective player, Auld but nowhere near the greatest.

McNeill for Clark is fine - double centre half instead of centre half and sweeper. The more I think about a McKinnon/McNeill partnership, the more I like it.

Disagree. Both were what was called at the time 'pivots'. Each needed a free sweeper; nobody better than D. Smith who was so under-rated - I would rather have him than Clark.  

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

Also fancy having to choose between Henderson and Jinky.

Johnstone was better than Henderson that season but overall I think Henderson was a more productive winger. He would beat a defender and know exactly what to do next. Johnstone would beat his man with ease and then while he was deciding what to do, beat another and go back and beat the first one again. Fabulous entertainment but by that time Henderson would have got the cross in to Millar. GOAL.