Scotland’s Greatest 50 Footballers of the last 50 Years

According to Alan Pattullo of the Scotsman. (I think he’s Aberdeen but doesn’t mind the celtic)

Here’s his top ten from 1974 to date.

10  Bremner

09 Gough (pleasant surprise)

08 Leighton (Whit!  Goram’s 31, Harvey (Leeds) is. 32 and Gordon is 39)

07 Jordan

06 Strachan

05 McQueen

04 Robertson, Liverpool (Jings)

03 McGrain (No quarrel with DMcG but shift him down a place, get rid of Robertson and bring Jardine up from a ridiculous 11.

02 Souness

01 Dalgleish.

Nicholas is 49.

Hansen is 47.

celtic McGregor is 40.

celtic Boyd is 30.  (crivvens)

Jimmy Johnstone is 26. (top ten, surely)
McTominay is 25. (speechless)

Cooper is 19.(what can you say?)

Tierney is 18. (some mistake, surely)

Bazza is 16.

Fletcher is 15. (jings crivvens)

McCoist is 13.

Law is 12. (top three beyond doubt)

John Greig is not listed

• 1 month later...
  • Rousseau changed the title to Scotland’s Greatest 50 Footballers of the last 50 Years
4 hours ago, compo said:

No McLeish

He’s number 22.

Google Scotsman Pattullo top fifty and you’ll get the full list. Be surprised.

Interesting question as to who is the top 50....although 50 seems a stretch. Its a bit like picking your top 5 players of all time, there is no right or wrong and picking should be based on what you have seen - i.e. Pele, Cruyff, Best dont enter my top picks of all time. 

There was an interesting question on ESPN the other day asking Steve Nicol to do a Start, Bench, Drop between Jimmy Johnstone, Archie Gemmill and John Robertson - that would be an interesting one for Compo, Scott and the plus 60 posters. 

I'll need to have a look at that top 50 list...its easier breaking it down to positions:

Keepers:

Goram

Leighton

McGregor

Gordon

Defenders:

Gough

McLeish

Miller

Hansen (just makes it as ended playing 1990)

Hendry

Weir

Robertson (Davie all day long for me - note this doesnt have to be based on scotland caps)

Midfielders:

B Ferguson

Lambert

Collins

McAllister (Tough typing that)

McCall

McFadden (was awesome on his day stroke winger)

Forwards:

McCoist

McAvennie 

Johnstone

Durie

Miller

That was brain storming and Ive missed masses in the midfield and forward line. But generation opinions are great

58 minutes ago, Gribz said:

Drop between Jimmy Johnstone, Archie Gemmill and John Robertson

Robertson the Forest winger or Robertson of the Hearts?

It doesn’t matter because if Willie Henderson’s not around, you don’t drop Jimmy Johnstone.

While you’re on about Robertsons, you’re spot on about Davie. Superb player but Broon and Roxburgh didn’t see it.

1 minute ago, Scott7 said:

Robertson the Forest winger or Robertson of the Hearts?

It doesn’t matter because if Willie Henderson’s not around, you don’t drop Jimmy Johnstone.

While you’re on about Robertsons, you’re spot on about Davie. Superb player but Broon and Roxburgh didn’t see it.

The question was Forest Winger - of course mate. 

If it was Robertson Hearts Id have been all over it. Good scorer...but not top level. 

Robertson Forest is a weird one for me - I had never ever heard of him until a few years ago.

3 minutes ago, Gribz said:

Robertson Forest is a weird one for me - I had never ever heard of him until a few years ago.

Very good left winger. Laid in the winner in one European Cup Final and scored the winner in the next one.

19 minutes ago, compo said:

I’m not sure if Neil Martin was still playing in the 70s but he’d definitely be in my squad .

By the seventies he was in English League Division 2, Coventry, Brighton so his career was ending at the start of the fifty year period but mid to late sixties he was an absolutely cracking player with the Hibs, then Sunderland.