Additional 20 Premiership games on TV next season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c4nn7729q53o

An additional 20 Scottish Premiership matches will be shown live on subscription television from next season.

Premier Sports, who already show live Scottish Cup and League Cup games, have bought the package of 20 games for five years. They will share live rights with Sky Sports, who currently show up to 60 games a season on a deal until 2029.

The BBC has a contract to show Scottish Championship and League 1 games on free-to-air platforms, as well as live radio and Premiership highlights rights.

SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster described the move as "tremendous news for SPFL clubs and supporters alike".

"Up to 80 Premiership matches will be broadcast live next season across Sky Sports and Premier Sports," he said.

"This will be the highest number of live matches ever broadcast from the Scottish Premiership."

I'm loathe to give Doncaster any credit, but this sounds positive, even if the extra revenue I assume is generated hasn't been disclosed in this article.

11 hours ago, stewarty said:

Premier Sports, who already show live Scottish Cup and League Cup games,

Viaplay2 then as I thought viaplay showed these.

13 hours ago, MacK1950 said:

Viaplay2 then as I thought viaplay showed these.

I thought it was Viaplay too, but maybe Premier Sports is the better and more sellable brand.

Still no word that I've seen about the value of this addition to the TV deal.   Suspect they've sold this for buttons.

27 minutes ago, stewarty said:

I thought it was Viaplay too, but maybe Premier Sports is the better and more sellable brand.

Premier Sports bought Viaplay’s UK sports broadcasting business and is rebranding Viaplay Sports 1 and 2 under its own banner.

Purely from a selfish point of view, I'd be okay with this if it meant some earlier kick offs at Ibrox.

3pms are getting rarer and rarer and 12.30's in Govan outwith the OF are pretty much non-existent.

It would do me favours in terms of travelling up and back, probably the same for the NI crowd as well.

That's the only silver lining though, the money is dire and so is the product.