22 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

A recent German ambassador to the UK described himself and his countrymen as the Anglo Saxons who missed the boat.

The Germans have been trying to onite Europe, one way or another, for some considerable time.  Maybe that's why.  

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

It’s a foreign language though more foreign in, let’s say, Corstorphine than in, for example, Clatt. The roots are the same. A recent German ambassador to the UK described himself and his countrymen as the Anglo Saxons who missed the boat.

He only spoke for himself and his fellow politician elite. Would not be missed over here.

@Gonzo79, you need to clear your ears. Union in German starts with a U and is spoken with the correct pre Great Vowel Shift pronunciation. B| 

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

Was their penalty really a penalty?  Didn't look like one from behind the goal, as Diamonde seemed to win the ball fairly.

Never a penalty 

Rightio, some more time on my hands now, so let's go over this ... after watching it from essentially the sidelines behind the managers's benches.

Typical 4-2-3-1 again, with probably some more focus on getting players to know each other and back to fitness levels than truly going for a win.

Hence the inclusion of Jefte, who looked okay, but is IMHO no starter ahead of Ridvan. As soon as the Turk went into the game, he whipped in more dangerous crosses than Jefte did in two games.

Tavernier looked sluggish from far and near, and while I accept that he didn't train much (for whatever reason), you do expect more from a professional athlete and sportsman. His sub King was clearly not a right-back, but we almost went three at the back with him, Balogun and Souttar, which helped to cut much of their attacking threat (despite Union's substitutions). Ridvan played more advanced than Jefte too.

The defence at their goals in the first half looked suspect, not least these two long cross-field balls for number 1 and 3. The penalty was a joke, even from 60 metres away, the ref is a Bundesliga 2 regular (which should still be better than Premiership level) and can do better.

Star of the show was surely Diomande, who tackled and worked tirelessly throughout, has an eye for a pass and a good shot in him too. Hope he gets enough protection from the refs this season. Barron, despite his size, was the Stuart McCall type of midfield dynamo we've been begging for for a long time. The two CMs worked really well and were playing positively throughout. We DO need some sort of Davis-type creator from the back still. Far too much is left to the centre-halfs in terms of build-up play.

Lawrence played some sort of secondary striker role, which is fine when we have the ball, as he find spaces to shoot from. The constant pressing that we need (home and abroad) is clearly not his core competence, though he gave his best.

Cortes has bags of speed and skill, with a bit more experience, he'll sure be a fine asset. This game was much better than the one in Birmingham.

Wright worked away as usual, though I still think he will be better used more centrally once Cerny gets the right-wing slot. What he and McCausland brings is a lot of work and pressing the opposition, both worked back pretty well.

Dessers ... I honestly don't know what causes all the negativity. He worked their defence and goalie tirelessly, took his goals well, missed a few opportunities too. Generally, a very solid striker. What we need is more like him, or, even better, another one next to him (mantra gong applied). 

Butland ... maybe  it is just me, but he looks to be at 75 % at the most. If it was me, I'd put Kelly in goals next Saturday, though I suspect that Butland will be number 1 no matter what.

All in all, an entertaining day, the Union chap who invited me said at HT that this may well end 5-5, which I agreed too.

Butland you have to ask is he good enough how many points a season will he save us does he at present have any resale value if Kelly looks like a player then sell him while we can earn some money from him instead of paying a handsome wage 

3 hours ago, der Berliner said:

Dessers ... I honestly don't know what causes all the negativity.

The missed chances, the poor link up play, losing the ball regularly, diving, waving at the referee and trying to be best mates with opposition players (who all ignore him), for starters.  

I'm surprised he didn't try with two strikers up top for one of the matches i don't go for this 4 3 2 1 formation attack attack attack  more so with our shaky defence