1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

It's not an inverted FB. 

It's just poor man-marking. 

But the LB had to "invert" to mark the striker, leaving the scorer wide-open. FBs have obviously been told to stay narrow and its killing us. 

1 minute ago, CammyF said:

But the LB had to "invert" to mark the striker, leaving the scorer wide-open. FBs have obviously been told to stay narrow and its killing us. 

You can certainly blame him for being too narrow but that doesn't mean he's playing as an inverted FB: an inverted FB is a specific in-possession role. 

I think the issue is man-marking. Jefte should be marking the WB. Then again, that does create an overload for them in the middle. 

Bizarre 1st half. Some very good moments from us but accompanied by some abysmal defending from both sides; especially from us with Jefte and Davies failing to communicate and Cortes switching off as well. We're far too vulnerable to the long diagonal and that has to be fixed.

Just now, Rousseau said:

You can certainly blame him for being too narrow but that doesn't mean he's playing as an inverted FB: an inverted FB is a specific in-possession role. 

I think the issue is man-marking. Jefte should be marking the WB. Then again, that does create an overload for them in the middle. 

Having watched the end of last seaon and this pre-season Clement has narrowed our back 4. Since doing so, it blunted our attack and made us vulnerable defensively. 

I thought it was down to injuries but he appears to be persisting with it this pre-season. 

Acres of space on our left hand side, I mean acres, and it's help yourself Hans. 

Everybody has a plan, until you get punched in the mouth. So that's 3 punches in the mouth, and we seem to persist..   

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

Butland's form is worrying. He's better than this. 

Perhaps could have done better at opening goal but even then it's difficult to react to shots from ten yards or so when the ball is being switched from the other side of the park.

Tav, Davies, Jefte and Cortes ahead in the blame game... ;)

I would like to see us deploy those high WBs as I think it would play to Tavernier and Jefte's strengths.

It needs a back-three, though - and using a back-four allows for one more attacker (Lawrence, in today's case).

Would we like to see Lawrence removed for a CB? Probably not. 

Positives are 

Dessers - great finish and linking up very well.

Lawrence - 2 goals and general play has been very good.

Diomande - very good 45mins 

Barron - playing well.

Look brilliant going forward, horrific defensively but sure the Union Berlin fans will be saying the exact same.