Bricks and mortar: The intangibles to success

• Rousseau changed the title to Bricks and mortar: The intangibles to success

Old Trafford is in the state it's in purely down to lack of maintenance, preventative maintenance is essential with any exposed structure, neglect that and it's not long before the costs will spiral, we got into the same place ourselves not so long ago. We need to continue to grow, to extract profit as much as possible, we've already seen that we can't rely on european money, and we've made some poor contract choices in recent years too.

Kudos to you for travelling up twice a month, that's superb.

The ongoing work in the stadium is great, but selling off a large part of the Albion is so frustrating. We've owned it for many years and it's part of our history. For the directors to sell it off to finance their (perhaps needed) vanity project of NEH is short-sighted. Future generations will lose whatever benefit they may have had from it. It'll be gone forever once it's sold for flats.

13 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

For the directors to sell it off to finance their (perhaps needed) vanity project of NEH is short-sighted.

I agree about the Albion but I'm pretty sure that fans have been looking for something like New Edmiston House for years. Not least for the purpose of having a club museum.

Whatever happened to:

If they play on the street, we will watch them from the pavements?

(Facetious; I'm sorry.)

Ibrox, or at least the Edmiston frontage, is a Category B listed building ie

is a building of architectural or historic interest, considered a major example of a particular period, style, or building type.

As such, there is an obligation on the Club to maintain it for the continuing edification and delight of the populace, and, of course, the tourist. 

6 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

I agree about the Albion but I'm pretty sure that fans have been looking for something like New Edmiston House for years. Not least for the purpose of having a club museum.

Whilst agreeing with you regarding the museum, I don't think any of the events held at NEH have been sold out. No point of having it if the fans don't use it. 

2 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Whilst agreeing with you regarding the museum, I don't think any of the events held at NEH have been sold out. No point of having it if the fans don't use it. 

Agreed.

It is good to have a museum and to have NEH, but did it really have to be at the cost of selling off our land around the stadium? Surely it could have been financed in some other way, perhaps over a longer period of time.

28 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

The ongoing work in the stadium is great, but selling off a large part of the Albion is so frustrating. We've owned it for many years and it's part of our history. For the directors to sell it off to finance their (perhaps needed) vanity project of NEH is short-sighted. Future generations will lose whatever benefit they may have had from it. It'll be gone forever once it's sold for flats.

Especially when they plan to use it for council houses, and no doubt it will house residents who will object to any future developments in the area the club try to put forward. It was a bad idea.

Posted (edited)

It's a bit of a balancing act.  It's important that the stadium is in good nick but not to the detriment of the playing squad.  

Then there's short term or long term thinking - a hit (EH) in the short term will be worthwhile in the longer term.  

We need to start winning trophies regularly again, otherwise empty seats might become more apparent than any other stadium related problems. 

Edited by Gonzo79

I like NEH.  I wish it was a bit lighter inside and had some seating for elderly and infirm.  It is a safe space for families and other fans to get in from the cold, sells food and drink and you get to see the players.  The cafe is very popular too and the shop is very busy on match days.  The museum is much appreciated and I will be making my first visit to see it and Walter's statue in the close season.