The Summer 2024 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

He's hardly likely to tell the interviewer he can't wait to get rid of them.  

I'd imagine he'd love to completely transform the squad during this window and the 'Rome' comments are merely to placate and lower the expectations of the support.

Managers and players have to lie to the press, it's all part of the job.

Or he actually wants to keep them.

I'm sure he would want to transform the entire squad but it's completely unrealistic.

Maybe he's trying to temper the expectations of the fans as some players the fanbase want to leave (and are actually advocating paying them off) will still be here next season.

I can feel the seeeeeeethe already (they're shit, they're serial losers, they're cowards, they'll get Clement sacked etc).......

2 hours ago, CammyF said:

The big takeaway for me from his interview was that a house / Rome wasn't built in a day, same with this Rangers rebuild. Wonder if the fans will show the necessary patience.....

Last summer, I went on and on and on about "outside bets" and how filling a squad full of them, many injury prone wouldn't work..... Well, it didn't.

This year, I concentrate on reasonable expectations and  patience.

We'd like a ready made squad of quality first team players. It isn't happening. There isn't the budget, simples.

To even compete, we are going to have to get the transfer window, close to spot-on. Bear in mind that Celtic had an awful summer transfer window in 2023. 

Clement is a good manager and is trying to do the best he can. He is telling us to be patient, it is the only way this can work.

We can do that or we can throw the baby out with the bath water and fall further behind.

If Walter Smith was here he would be fully behind what the manager is saying. He knows that he wouldn't have been able to do what he did without reasonable to good financial support. 

If Guardiola had managed at Espanyol, 1860 Munich and Blackpool, he would have won nowt.

What we can reasonably expect is to see a team taking shape and improving window on window. It might even be entertaining. Just now,  anything else is a bonus.

19 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Pretty hard to argue with that one.  

Who's arguing? 

All I'm saying is some of them will still be here next season, and the sooner we realise / accept that the better. 

19 minutes ago, buster. said:

Last summer, I went on and on and on about "outside bets" and how filling a squad full of them, many injury prone wouldn't work..... Well, it didn't.

This year, I concentrate on reasonable expectations and  patience.

We'd like a ready made squad of quality first team players. It isn't happening. There isn't the budget, simples.

To even compete, we are going to have to get the transfer window, close to spot-on. Bear in mind that Celtic had an awful summer transfer window in 2023. 

Clement is a good manager and is trying to do the best he can. He is telling us to be patient, it is the only way this can work.

We can do that or we can throw the baby out with the bath water and fall further behind.

If Walter Smith was here he would be fully behind what the manager is saying. He knows that he wouldn't have been able to do what he did without reasonable to good financial support. 

If Guardiola had managed at Espanyol, 1860 Munich and Blackpool, he would have won nowt.

What we can reasonably expect is to see a team taking shape and improving window on window. It might even be entertaining. Just now,  anything else is a bonus.

I agree, but many won't - rightly or wrongly they'll want instant success and want all the "dross", "serial losers" sold / moved on at any cost.

We will retain more players than we sell / release and the manager has already stated a couple of his new signings aren't 1st team ready. 

We have to hope and pray clubs will want to buy some of our players, if they aren't, we won't be paying anyone off, we won't be accepting "low ball" offers just to move players on as we simply can't afford to.

So the fans who are screaming for us to "cut or losses" with the "serial losers",  "dross" and perma injured players like Tav, Goldson, Lawrence, Lammers, Dessers, Dowell, Yilmaz, Cifuentes, Hagi, Davies, Wright, Matando, Danilo, Cantwell, Raskin et al are going to be disappointed. 

Edited by CammyF

9 minutes ago, CammyF said:

All I'm saying is some of them will still be here next season, and the sooner we realise / accept that the better. 

You'd have to be utterly delusional to think we're getting rid of them all but our support is full of delusional nutters, who love a good moan, so there's no chance of total realisation or acceptance of it.

12 minutes ago, CammyF said:

we won't be paying anyone off, we won't be accepting "low ball" offers just to move players on

You seem very sure about this.  Are you suggesting we'll just let their contracts run down instead of accepting low offers?  

24 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

You seem very sure about this.  Are you suggesting we'll just let their contracts run down instead of accepting low offers?  

Depending on what you mean by low offers.

Like it or not, we are struggling for money and can't continue to "buy high" and "sell low". The cycle / madness has to stop. 

If someone offers his £500K for Lammers, we ain't selling (and nor should we), if someone offers close to what we paid, we will sell. However, he might not accept a 50% pay cut. 

I may be wrong, but we are a business and not a very profitable one at that, makes no business sense to sell players at a significant loss just to get them off the wage bill. We may do it for one of two, but not for 10 - 11 players who need moved on and more importantly, replaced with superior quality players.

10 minutes ago, CammyF said:

we are a business and not a very profitable one at that, makes no business sense

I sense a contradiction.  

I reckon we'd take low offers for a couple of them, to get them off the wage bill and to ensure they don't walk away for free in a year or two.

We'll only know when the window closes.