The Summer 2024 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

2 hours ago, Uilleam said:

There are not enough serious sides in Scotland. Decimate them. 

5 subs has to stop. It means that some players will be naught but benchwarmers, primarily B Teamers. 

I get the sentiment but in this era of professional football with the athleticism required (some laugh watching our lads last season ha) and us also having 60 games a season we do need 5 subs.

Using them properly is what we should be doing - managers have the opportunity with 5 subs to make some at HT without eating into the number of times you can make a change (3)...why not do it?

I have a feeling Clement will be bang into the HT changes this season.

Footballs headed towards early changes anyway imo, but that's a debate for another day.

On 25/06/2024 at 11:12, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Budinauckas(22) was on loan at Stranraer last season, played lots of games. Jay Hogarth(20) is a good prospect and played the second half of the season at Dumbarton then Mason Munn (18) is also highly rated, turned down Arsenal last year (I believe).

Decent pipeline of keepers in the Academy.

At 22 years old, you shouldn't be in the academy. If he's not good enough at 19, move on. There are players 6 years his junior at the Euros. 

I'm of the opinion that it's not a Rangers problem, it's a national problem. Who was the last player any club here started playing at 16 or 17 who actually went on to have the career that the early promise suggested?.

Gilmour had the odd flash of first team football, but never was a first team pick, I can't actually recall anyone else.

An extreme example, granted, but Jamal at 16 has 30 odd caps for his country,  and has looked on pf the very best at the euros. He's not alone, Spain have had a few in recent years.

Lowry is basically a classic, oft repeated example of a young, talented player who just disappears up his own balloon knot.

Edited by Devil's advocaat

1 hour ago, Devil's advocaat said:

I'm of the opinion that it's not a Rangers problem, it's a national problem. Who was the last player any club here started playing at 16 or 17 who actually went on to have the career that the early promise suggested?.

Gilmour had the odd flash of first team football, but never was a first team pick, I can't actually recall anyone else.

An extreme example, granted, but Jamal at 16 has 30 odd caps for his country,  and has looked on pf the very best at the euros. He's not alone, Spain have had a few in recent years.

Lowry is basically a classic, oft repeated example of a young, talented player who just disappears up his own balloon knot.

Most definitely but that doesn't mean there can't be a Rangers solution. 

1 hour ago, Devil's advocaat said:

Lewis Ferguson has played a big part in Bologna getting into the Champions League. 

I'll be honest though, I never wanted us to sign him. 

9 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Lewis Ferguson has played a big part in Bologna getting into the Champions League. 

Aye, absolutely, but my point was that he never blew his way into a first team at 16 and stayed there. If anything, it shows our coaching up in this country that he has to go to Italy to be the player he is.

Lewis Ferguson was of course at Rangers as a youth but he's the perfect example of a player who needed time to develop then patience to play. Ironically he only made it into the Hamilton side because we signed Greg Docherty. 

It's not hindsight to say Ferguson would have done well had he signed for us when he left Aberdeen. He scored 16 goals in his final season for Aberdeen, I don't think we've had a midfielder with those kind of numbers since Albertz! 
For all my doom and gloom about youth the club are actively signing 20 year olds and surprised me by giving Robbie Fraser a 2 year deal, I was certain he'd be playing for Raith Rovers or Hamilton, someone like that, in the coming season. That suggests a change of strategy by the club, perhaps we will see a very young Rangers side this season. How the support will react to that will be interesting. 

8 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

I wonder if the strategy is concede 55 and probably 56 to celtic and then ourselves surge on to 60.

If so, will we stand for the humiliations? 

Believe me once they take the lead we will never hear the end of it 

Then again we've been living in the past for many years now how many you've won goes for nothing in my book it should be how many are we going to win .

Edited by compo