The Summer 2024 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

15 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

We should have bigger leagues. 

A B-Team league would just be a reserve league, which doesn't allow youngsters to play first-team professionals, just other youngsters. 

B-Teams can't play in the same league as their main team. (Barca B cannot be promoted to La Liga; if Barca were relegated, their B-team would also be relegated, to the third division.) 

Nails on heads in regards to this mate.

Are we that shocked that Rangers doesn't take our academy seriously when Scottish football doesn't?

Rangers,Celtic,Hearts and Aberdeen should all have B teams in the lower leagues with the cap at the championship.

Edited by yuddie

2 hours ago, Uilleam said:

And spend significant coin on players whose ability to withstand the 'unique' pressures, and environment, of Rangers, and to carry that heavy shirt, is untested, and thus, unknown?

I have been told, many times, that all transfers are a risk. Therefore, the more players you buy, the greater the risk. 

It strikes me that with a youth set up, you will, inevitably, have a high 'churn rate'; this would also be the case with purchased players, who do not come up to expectations. 

If you have a player from say age 15/16 to, say 19/ 20, you will have a pretty clear idea of his talent, and of his personality (considered broadly), both of which you will have helped to develop. When you buy a player, at, say, 20, you will have, from observation, an idea of his talent, but less of his personality. 

The nub of the matter, perhaps, is that one player has the talent, and the personality, but not the experience, while the other has, as far as you can discern, the talent, and the experience, but with his personality, largely, unknown. 

What is needed is for the home schooled players to gain the necessary experience. This seems to be difficult, internally, and externally, and I am not sure how you solve the problem. 

However, despite this, it would seem logical not to commit all  resources to one policy and practice. 

I'm not actually making the argument, merely pointing out that there is one. I'd prefer a youth policy that produced players we can use, currently it doesn't and part of the reason for that is demands on the club. 

1 hour ago, yuddie said:

I know Glasgow is a bit of a goldfish bowl in football terms but down south young players will have millions of eyes on them each week with 10x the scrutiny online too.

I've always held the opinion that it's because we're so dominant relative to the league - with 3x the revenue of 3rd place (Hearts) that we can and should blood youngsters.

If you can't develop your own when you're spending in a summer what the rest of the clubs generate in turnover then I'm sorry, you just aren't a serious football club.

@Rousseau alluded to it earlier, the SFA and SPFL aren't serious organisations either or there would be B teams in the lower leagues - but that's by the bye.

And I have to say, we just aren't that good a team in recent years to turn our noses up at the academy. We don't need to flood the team with youngsters but if we can have 2 or 3 that can get 1000-2000 minutes a season (over 60 games!) then that's the ideal. It really isn't that radical, it's only Scotland that's not following the trend of trusting younger players in recent years.

There does seem to be that psyche that runs through Scotland and it's fanbases.

It's not the number of people watching that's the issue, it's the consequences. Liverpool aren't firing their manager is they finished second. Indeed no side in England is doing that, most are delighted if the finish fourth. Second for Rangers is being fired. If we're still second and trailing by say 6 points come the end of October there will be voices on here calling for Clement to go. That's not right but it is reality. 

I've pointed this out before. While we were visiting the fishing villages and market towns of the Scottish lower leagues Celtic had no challenge for the league. During that period they developed Callum MacGregor, James Forrest, Keiran Tierney, Ryan Christie and Charlie Mulgrew. They could do that because they could afford the mistakes young players make without worrying it would make a difference. 
Since we returned to the top flight they've developed no one of consequence. 

For the record, I'm not promoting ditching our youth set up, but there is an argument these days. 

37 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

It's not the number of people watching that's the issue, it's the consequences. Liverpool aren't firing their manager is they finished second. Indeed no side in England is doing that, most are delighted if the finish fourth. Second for Rangers is being fired. If we're still second and trailing by say 6 points come the end of October there will be voices on here calling for Clement to go. That's not right but it is reality. 

I've pointed this out before. While we were visiting the fishing villages and market towns of the Scottish lower leagues Celtic had no challenge for the league. During that period they developed Callum MacGregor, James Forrest, Keiran Tierney, Ryan Christie and Charlie Mulgrew. They could do that because they could afford the mistakes young players make without worrying it would make a difference. 
Since we returned to the top flight they've developed no one of consequence. 

For the record, I'm not promoting ditching our youth set up, but there is an argument these days. 

All fair.

That's an attitude the club needs to bin if we're actually going to recover.

The epitome of which was signing and playing old jobbers instead of the best young domestic talent in the country when we were visiting those fishmongers.

The club and fans were desperate at the time so I get it but if ever there was a silver lining of being sent down the leagues it was the opportunity to reset and build an identity - we won't get an opportunity to do that over 4 seasons now without serious short term pain.

Shame really.

2 hours ago, JohnMc said:

I'm not actually making the argument, merely pointing out that there is one. I'd prefer a youth policy that produced players we can use, currently it doesn't and part of the reason for that is demands on the club. 

And I worry about flinging the bairn out with the bathwater....

57 minutes ago, yuddie said:

if ever there was a silver lining of being sent down the leagues it was the opportunity to reset and build an identity - we won't get an opportunity to do that over 4 seasons now without serious short term pain.

Correct. A decent manager would have got us up the leagues and brought on young talent.