The Summer 2024 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

24 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

B-teams in the league structure, like Spain, Germany, Belgium, Portugal, Netherlands. 

I thought that we had tried that, or something similar.

You have a pretty mundane, uncompetitive, mostly, Premier League, so what level of competition, and tactical challenge, does the league structure below this provide?

(The whole SPFL requires surgery, but that is a debate for elsewhere.)

14 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

I thought that we had tried that, or something similar.

You have a pretty mundane, uncompetitive, mostly, Premier League, so what level of competition, and tactical challenge, does the league structure below this provide?

(The whole SPFL requires surgery, but that is a debate for elsewhere.)

Not fully. 

It was only one season (for us, anyway) and we were stuck in the Lowland League. 

Spanish sides, for example, are allowed up to the Segunda Division - if their teams are in La Liga. Villarreal B currently play in the Segunda Division.

It allows them to get a lot of experience, against men. 

I actually think it allows us to develop the tactical side of their game internally, instead of farming them out to the rubbish we have in this country, which doesn't teach them anything that is useful to us. That's just me, though. 

Watched a German TV crime series a few days back and one policeman talked about a folklore band, starting: "Yes, they have a very bright future behind them ... (being in their mid-fifties now) ...

Which reminded me instantly about the "next-best superstars" and "mega-talents" we signed over the decades for the youth team and noted them next when they left us 4 to 7 years later with hardly ever making the bench of the first team.

Edited by der Berliner

13 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Not fully. 

It was only one season (for us, anyway) and we were stuck in the Lowland League. 

Spanish sides, for example, are allowed up to the Segunda Division - if their teams are in La Liga. Villarreal B currently play in the Segunda Division.

I actually think it allows us to develop the tactical side of their game internally, instead of farming them out to the rubbish we have in this country, which doesn't teach them anything that is useful to us. That's just me, though. 

They also usually have a few experienced pros to play among the kids and help them through games. 

What do they know these foreigners, we have some coaching badges to give out in Largs. We know best.

49 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Not fully. 

If you had a decent League structure, then I could see some sense in it.

(Frankly, there are too many teams in Scotland's SPFL. It should be culled.)

I don't think you could have, in Scotland, two leagues, with the lower division containing, what, say up to 10, or12, (or so) B teams.  Unless you were able to have a B Team league on its own. (At least that would prevent a team being relegated, and having to play its own B Team, home and away.)

6 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

If you had a decent League structure, then I could see some sense in it.

(Frankly, there are too many teams in Scotland's SPFL. It should be culled.)

I don't think you could have, in Scotland, two leagues, with the lower division containing, what, say up to 10, or12, (or so) B teams.  Unless you were able to have a B Team league on its own. (At least that would prevent a team being relegated, and having to play its own B Team, home and away.)

We should have bigger leagues. 

A B-Team league would just be a reserve league, which doesn't allow youngsters to play first-team professionals, just other youngsters. 

B-Teams can't play in the same league as their main team. (Barca B cannot be promoted to La Liga; if Barca were relegated, their B-team would also be relegated, to the third division.) 

3 hours ago, JohnMc said:

We're the living embodiment of short-termism. Rangers manager's job will come under pressure if we go three matches without a win, he'll lose it if we go five. Rangers directors will come under pressure if we don't win the league or have to fire a manager during the season. A Rangers player will come under pressure if they have a couple of poor games in a row. This is no exaggeration. Putting young players into that environment is problematic. Young players will make mistakes and as mistakes cost managers their jobs, cost their team mates win bonuses and pile pressure on directors no one is too interested in making that happen. 

There's a big argument that Rangers should close their 'academy', save the money and simply sign players that are ready for the first team. Let young players develop at clubs without the pressure and demands of Rangers. 

I know Glasgow is a bit of a goldfish bowl in football terms but down south young players will have millions of eyes on them each week with 10x the scrutiny online too.

I've always held the opinion that it's because we're so dominant relative to the league - with 3x the revenue of 3rd place (Hearts) that we can and should blood youngsters.

If you can't develop your own when you're spending in a summer what the rest of the clubs generate in turnover then I'm sorry, you just aren't a serious football club.

@Rousseau alluded to it earlier, the SFA and SPFL aren't serious organisations either or there would be B teams in the lower leagues - but that's by the bye.

And I have to say, we just aren't that good a team in recent years to turn our noses up at the academy. We don't need to flood the team with youngsters but if we can have 2 or 3 that can get 1000-2000 minutes a season (over 60 games!) then that's the ideal. It really isn't that radical, it's only Scotland that's not following the trend of trusting younger players in recent years.

There does seem to be that psyche that runs through Scotland and it's fanbases.

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

We should have bigger leagues. 

If the diddy teams that expected to fight relegation were safe by Xmas id bet you'd see them blood far more young players. A bigger league wouldn't guarantee this scenario but it would create a larger opportunity for it.

No one cares if St Johnstone v Ross County is a relegation deciding 6 pointer or a mid table mothing to play for clash. Its not going to affect attendance or TV figures. Look for opportunities to blood young players.