The Summer 2024 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

4 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Libero is a sweeper, or CB with a free role; they can be defensive or attacking - obsolete now, but Koeman, Baresi?

Sammer, Mattheus and der Kaizer were the best, Koeman up there. Baresi very much more of a stopper than a creator IMO.

6 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Sammer, Mattheus and der Kaizer were the best, Koeman up there. Baresi very much more of a stopper than a creator IMO.

Beckenbauer was probably the quintessential libero.

Yes, which is why I said that the position could be defensive or attacking. 

Donald Trump Rnc GIF by Election 2016

I love this forum for everyone’s views on the tactics part of the game lots of interesting comments on it it’s tip-top .

But I’d love to see some wingers in the Henderson and Jinky mold in our game 

Lads d'yer reckon you could do a thread on this? It's a good read.

@compoisn't far wrong in pining for ye olde game, nothings new now it's just tweaked.

Case in point being the WM Hungary deployed that's so common now.

Heck, teams defending in a 4-4-2 is pretty standard practice at the top level - people scoffed at that 'formation' in the late 90's for lacking imagination.

As an aside to that, defending will always win you leagues which is why you've seen Arteta and Guardiola be more pragmatic in their shapes this season whilst the rest of England has just decided to wing it at the back.

Our title challenge this season collapsed as soon as our defence did - if we maintained our form in defending pre Motherwell to the end we'd have pissed the league. Hopefully Clement agrees and goes back to being solid first and foremost - the game at Hampden makes me think he will.

Bit of a tangent haha.

When I said hbs rarely went to the touchline, I was forgetting that they took the throw-ins. Chuck the ball to the if or the winger then get back on station pronto.

On 07/06/2024 at 23:53, ian1964 said:

So the Saudi interest in Tav and Goldson might rake us in 6 to 7 million.

Stevie will be saying Scotland are going to win the Euros at this rate!!

If we want Goldson off the wage bill, it will be a pay off.

43 minutes ago, buster. said:

So the Saudi interest in Tav and Goldson might rake us in 6 to 7 million.

Stevie will be saying Scotland are going to win the Euros at this rate!!

If we want Goldson off the wage bill, it will be a pay off.

I tend to agree, which is why I said before that I'd let him (and Tav) go for free if it means we free up their wages. Tav has some value in fairness, but not a lot. But no, I cannot see in my wildest dreams, us banking 6-7m for them. 

[Bülent Uslu] Giovanni van Bronckhorst requested the Beşiktaş management to go for right-backs James Tavernier and Steven Berghuis.

Not sure about the credibility of the source. 

4 hours ago, Rousseau said:

[Bülent Uslu] Giovanni van Bronckhorst requested the Beşiktaş management to go for right-backs James Tavernier and Steven Berghuis.

Not sure about the credibility of the source. 

Steven Berghuis isn't a right back so that's one inaccuracy

I always thought/hoped we'd sign Berghuis under Gio... :(

Looks like there is some tentative efforts to gauge opinion on removing Tav. Not sure we'll get £5-7m for him (and I don't see Goldson moving in this window due to his injury) but I'd fancy Tav's stock is still high enough across more wasteful parts of second tier football (e.g. Turkey and Saudi) for interest to be fairly genuine.

As an aside, for all his efforts across various roles in the team last season, I think Sterling would still be best at right back actually.